American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract - Page 173 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #1721
steber
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Posts: 314
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy87
Just out of curiosity... Why does the extract recipe call for more hops?
Its all about boil size.. full boils have better hop utilization. Extracts are usually smaller boil volume which needs slightly more hops.
__________________
Quote:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #1722
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
BullGator's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 305
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by steber

Its all about boil size.. full boils have better hop utilization. Extracts are usually smaller boil volume which needs slightly more hops.
And as usual, size matters...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #1723
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
h22lude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
lincoln, ri
Posts: 2,689
Liked 177 Times on 149 Posts


Brewing this tomorrow. Sorry if this has been covered. I tried reading through and search but couldn't find what I wanted.

My brews have been coming out with a weird almost apple taste to it. I want to eliminate my water so I am going to use RO water. What kind of salts should I use? Using EZ spreadsheet, if I do 5.5 grams of CaCl2 I will get 50 ppm of Ca in my boil kettle. I also added 2 ounces of acid malt to bring the pH to 5.54. Does this sound ok?

I also want to try using sugar to carb instead of CO2. Beersmith says almost 2 ounces when I enter it all manually but the recipe I downloaded using Yooper's link it says to use 4 ounces. Which one should I use?

Edit: Went to my LHBS to get the ingredients. He tasted my Irish Red and agreed that it is most likely my water. He recommend I try spring water with some gypsum in it. I will be doing that with this batch to see how it comes out.
__________________
Up Next: Blonde Ale, German Pils
Primary: Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout
Kegged: Galaxy Dry Hopped Fort Point clone, Blonde Ale
Bottled: S'mores Stout, Blonde Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #1724
homebrewhaha
 
homebrewhaha's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Boston, MA
Posts: 218
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
My brews have been coming out with a weird almost apple taste to it.
Acetaldehyde is the classic "green apple" off-flavor. Does it taste like that? If so I'd consider the health of your yeast.

Are you using liquid yeast? Are you making a starter?
What's your source and is there any opportunity for degradation during shipping or at the LHBS?
Are you brewing any big beers (high OG)?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #1725
maltoftheearth
 
maltoftheearth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Carthage, North Carolina
Posts: 500
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Brewed this today but didn't have the amber malt on hand and only wanted a little additional color so I added .4oz of debittered black patent malt. I love the color, kind of mahogany, but that was way too much of the black malt. Probably about .1oz or .2oz would have done the trick.

Still, it smelled fantastic. I mashed low (151F) and had slightly more than 5 gallons so my efficiency was hurt (1.054) but it won't matter if it tastes great. I have a feeling the Pacman yeast I got is going to take this thing down close to 1.0.

Thanks for a great recipe!
__________________
Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #1726
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
h22lude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
lincoln, ri
Posts: 2,689
Liked 177 Times on 149 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewhaha

Acetaldehyde is the classic "green apple" off-flavor. Does it taste like that? If so I'd consider the health of your yeast.

Are you using liquid yeast? Are you making a starter?
What's your source and is there any opportunity for degradation during shipping or at the LHBS?
Are you brewing any big beers (high OG)?
I don't want to hijack this thread but I don't think it is acetaldehyde. I believe it is my tap water. My process is pretty good. I have good cleaning and sanitation. Yeast starter with liquid. Yeast is always stored cold and fresh.

I'm going to try spring water with a little gypsum with this recipe to see how it turns out.
__________________
Up Next: Blonde Ale, German Pils
Primary: Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout
Kegged: Galaxy Dry Hopped Fort Point clone, Blonde Ale
Bottled: S'mores Stout, Blonde Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #1727
RoadKing
 
RoadKing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Bayville, N.J.
Posts: 462
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post

My brews have been coming out with a weird almost apple taste to it.
Make sure your fermenters are clean. It could be an infection. Give 'em a good dose of bleach.
__________________
DIRTY GARAGE BREWING CO.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #1728
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
h22lude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
lincoln, ri
Posts: 2,689
Liked 177 Times on 149 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post
Make sure your fermenters are clean. It could be an infection. Give 'em a good dose of bleach.
It could be but I don't think it is. I'm getting it from all of my buckets and I clean them well. Soak in Oxiclean and sanitize well before use.

I brewed this yesterday and so far I think this was the best AG batch yet.

I hit pre boil gravity to within a few points. I collected the exact amount of wort from my mash tun as I wanted. I did boil off a little more than I thought so I had to top off with 3/4 gallon of boiled water but when I did that my OG was 1.074. I did use 14 pounds of 2 row because my efficiency has been low. We did 3 batches yesterday so I let it sit outside to cool down to pitching temp. I pitched US-05 when I got home. Right now my basement is kind of cold so it is at 57. I'm hoping it goes up during the day. If not I might need to go buy a heater of some kind for my fridge.
__________________
Up Next: Blonde Ale, German Pils
Primary: Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout
Kegged: Galaxy Dry Hopped Fort Point clone, Blonde Ale
Bottled: S'mores Stout, Blonde Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #1729
Parkje04
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Yardley, PA
Posts: 14


Brewed the extract version of this recipe last night. I think everything went ok, though I am a novice (third batch ever) so I don't really know quite what to look for. OG was 1.062, and fermentation started after about 18 hours.

Two weird things that didn't happen with my 2 other brews. First - the wort was clear, but when I mixed it, it threw up all kind of sediment that settled back down in a matter of seconds. Not sure if this was because of the amount of hops I used, or maybe the break was different, but it certainly seemed different than the other ipa I brewed, which was a kit from my LHBS. The other weird thing that I didn't experience with my other brews was I tried to use a paint strainer bag to filter out the hops. I clipped the bag to the primary, and poured the cooled wort into the bag. I poured about half the wort into the bag, and the bag got so heavy that it ripped the clips off the side of the bucket. I held the bag up and it had about 5 pounds of sediment in it that just wasn't draining. I had to dump the bag into the primary, sediment and all, which I know won't really be a big issue since I plan on using a secondary anyway. But I thought it was odd that the bag didn't filter out the hops and instead clogged. Should I have poured the top-off water into the primary BEFORE I poured the wort in? Would that have diluted it, and thus allowed the paint strainer to do its job and not clog?

Did I ruin the thing?? Sorry if this is off-topic, but I figured since I brewed this beer it would be a good place to go for either 1) peace of mind, or 2) condolences.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #1730
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,421
Liked 7846 Times on 5498 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkje04 View Post
Two weird things that didn't happen with my 2 other brews. First - the wort was clear, but when I mixed it, it threw up all kind of sediment that settled back down in a matter of seconds. Not sure if this was because of the amount of hops I used, or maybe the break was different, but it certainly seemed different than the other ipa I brewed, which was a kit from my LHBS. The other weird thing that I didn't experience with my other brews was I tried to use a paint strainer bag to filter out the hops. I clipped the bag to the primary, and poured the cooled wort into the bag. I poured about half the wort into the bag, and the bag got so heavy that it ripped the clips off the side of the bucket. I held the bag up and it had about 5 pounds of sediment in it that just wasn't draining. I had to dump the bag into the primary, sediment and all, which I know won't really be a big issue since I plan on using a secondary anyway. But I thought it was odd that the bag didn't filter out the hops and instead clogged. Should I have poured the top-off water into the primary BEFORE I poured the wort in? Would that have diluted it, and thus allowed the paint strainer to do its job and not clog?

Did I ruin the thing?? Sorry if this is off-topic, but I figured since I brewed this beer it would be a good place to go for either 1) peace of mind, or 2) condolences.
It sounds ok! The paint strainers can clog with pellet hop debris, so don't worry about that. It happens to me too.

I don't use a secondary anymore, but if you do that's fine.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone scottland Homebrew Ale Recipes 605 06-30-2016 01:27 AM
Dogfish head 90 Minute Clone elgee General Beer Discussion 1 04-03-2016 12:36 AM
Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA clone help! SteelTown Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 06-15-2013 05:46 PM
Looking for: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA Clone (Extract!) jeremydgreat Recipes/Ingredients 1 10-30-2011 05:28 AM
AHS Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone? jrss13 Recipes/Ingredients 3 08-09-2010 11:24 PM


Forum Jump