American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract - Page 166 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #1651
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,200
Liked 7699 Times on 5411 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
So you think 11.5lbs of US 2-row with 1lb of either munich 20L or biscuit would make for a better recipe?
Not a pound of biscuit! More like 6-8 ounces, instead of the cara-amber in your recipe.

I like Munich (a pound or two is fine) instead of so much maris otter for the base malt.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #1652
JayMac
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 271
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Not a pound of biscuit! More like 6-8 ounces, instead of the cara-amber in your recipe.

I like Munich (a pound or two is fine) instead of so much maris otter for the base malt.
Haha alright, I've never tried messing around with a recipe (obvious enough!). So are you saying something more like 12lbs 2-row w/ 6 oz biscuit, 11.5lbs 2-row w/ 1lb of munich, or 11lbs 2-row w/ 1lb munich w/ 6oz biscuit.

sorry about the nagging, but I'm about to place an order and I'm hard pressed for space in my MLT!

Thanks so much!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #1653
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,200
Liked 7699 Times on 5411 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Haha alright, I've never tried messing around with a recipe (obvious enough!). So are you saying something more like 12lbs 2-row w/ 6 oz biscuit, 11.5lbs 2-row w/ 1lb of munich, or 11lbs 2-row w/ 1lb munich w/ 6oz biscuit.

sorry about the nagging, but I'm about to place an order and I'm hard pressed for space in my MLT!

Thanks so much!
I like the plain ol' recipe the best, so maybe I'm biased. But if you are lacking room in the MLT and need to sub a "maltier" malt, the Munich would help out. I like the 6 ounces of amber malt a lot, but if you can't find amber malt you could sub victory or biscuit malt. I wouldn't sub a cara- type malt unless you really like crystal malt in IPAs. I think it makes it too sweet and covers up the great hops.

If you can only fit 11.5 pounds of grain in your MLT, I'd go with 10 pounds two-row, 1 pound Munich, and 6 ounces biscuit/victory/amber malt. Depending on your efficiency, you should end up with an OG of 1.056 or so. That's a bit low for an IPA. You could always keep a pound of DME on hand and add that at the end of the boil to make up for the lack of grain.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #1654
JayMac
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 271
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I like the plain ol' recipe the best, so maybe I'm biased. But if you are lacking room in the MLT and need to sub a "maltier" malt, the Munich would help out. I like the 6 ounces of amber malt a lot, but if you can't find amber malt you could sub victory or biscuit malt. I wouldn't sub a cara- type malt unless you really like crystal malt in IPAs. I think it makes it too sweet and covers up the great hops.

If you can only fit 11.5 pounds of grain in your MLT, I'd go with 10 pounds two-row, 1 pound Munich, and 6 ounces biscuit/victory/amber malt. Depending on your efficiency, you should end up with an OG of 1.056 or so. That's a bit low for an IPA. You could always keep a pound of DME on hand and add that at the end of the boil to make up for the lack of grain.
I could hit 12.5 if I mashed with 1.2 quarts/lb of grain. It's a little low, but it'll get me a few more points than if I mashed with 1.25 and used 12lbs. Oh Well, if I get a good efficiency I should end up with 1.06 at least. I'll have to cross my fingers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #1655
sivdrinks
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Lebanon, PA, PA
Posts: 809
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


BIAB, double mill, high efficiency, less grain. Just sayin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #1656
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GRBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Richmond, VA
Posts: 243
Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts


When I made this, I forgot to add the amber malt and used 15 lbs of us 2-row, 0.25lbs of melanoiden, and 0.25lbs of acid malt (for mash pH adjustment). Found the little bag of amber on the counter about 30 minutes into the boil! Was the best malt character of any beer I have made yet. I guess my point is that even a simple grain bill can be excellent.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #1657
Malthead
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 7

Quick question about the original recipe. Is the dry hopping in secondary?
Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #1658
nickmv
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Memphis
Posts: 789
Liked 66 Times on 50 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthead View Post
Quick question about the original recipe. Is the dry hopping in secondary?
Thanks.
Typically, the idea is to rack from primary into the seconday which is pre-loaded with hops. That way, you rack right onto the hops and they get a better initial dispersion.
__________________
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Kegged & Waiting:
ON TAP: Oatmeal Stout[br /]Holiday IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #1659
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,200
Liked 7699 Times on 5411 Posts


I used to rack to a clearing vessel, and add the dryhops there. But for the last few years, I just add the dryhops to my fermenter for the last 5 days or so before packaging the beer.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #1660
Sangre
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Houston, TX
Posts: 16

I made the extract recipie.

My scale went nuts and I added about two and one half lbs of C40. I just went ahead with the recipie.

What should I expect as far as taste?

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone scottland Homebrew Ale Recipes 605 06-30-2016 01:27 AM
Dogfish head 90 Minute Clone elgee General Beer Discussion 1 04-03-2016 12:36 AM
Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA clone help! SteelTown Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 06-15-2013 05:46 PM
Looking for: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA Clone (Extract!) jeremydgreat Recipes/Ingredients 1 10-30-2011 05:28 AM
AHS Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone? jrss13 Recipes/Ingredients 3 08-09-2010 11:24 PM


Forum Jump