American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract - Page 16 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Old 05-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #151
jacksonbrown

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Madison, WI
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've been waiting for some time to give this brew a go. I was going to make it on Sunday but got too busy putting the keg tower together. But I'm all set for this weekend. I was going to use a London Ale yeast, but am now thinking about tossing it onto the yeast cake from BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale) as it's ready to be racked to the secondary. Any reason to reconsider?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #153
discgolfin
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Chicago, Il.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well my bouble batch is aging as we speak..I mixed it up a bit and dry hopped one with 2/3 Amarillo and 1/3 Simcoe and the other with 2/3 Simcoe and 1/3 Amarillo.

just to mix things up a bit..I mashed a bit lower this second time around at 153 and ended up around 1.014.

Jay

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 06-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #154
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Sep 2006
San Diego, CA
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I just pulled a pint of this from my kegerator - wow. What a great beer, tastes spot on to the real thing. Great recipe Yoops!
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #155
jacksonbrown

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Madison, WI
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just tapped the keg yesterday for the first time. Delicious! I did a side by side with a DFH and found a few small differences.
Mine came out a bit lighter in both color and body. Not a problem for me.
Mine was not nearly as bitter. I think that can attributed to my continuous hop method. I think I waited too long between additions. How long do you take to add the Warriors? What I did get was a nice, light, ale, with a dry finish, and an amazing grapefruit aroma and flavor. It's really strong, but adds a very nice edge, and is nothing I've experiencecd before. I like!
I'll definitely be making this again but won't take as long to add the hops. Thanks Yoopers!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #156
stever
Recipes 

Mar 2008
St. Louis
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I also thought grapefruit at first but then I concluded it was more like passion fruit. Either way it's a great beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 06-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #157
nyer
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Mine came out darker and stronger than the 60, it reminds me more of the 90 minute. I'm not complaining, it's fantastic. I have all the ingredients to make a second batch but it's too hot out to do it.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #158
discgolfin
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Chicago, Il.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

a few thoughts on this recipe..I have made it a few times with a few alterations..and have noticied as it ages it seems to bitter more. I know this seems strange..bitterness will not change over time..but possibly the sweetness from the hops mellows and brings a bit more bitter? Yooper have you noticed this? Im talking 3 to 6 months of age..

I made a double batch and went with a dry hop 1oz simcoe and .5 amarillo and .5 simcoe and 1 oz amarillo to mix it up a bit..not a clone but still great.

J

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #159
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8016 Times on 5602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfin View Post
a few thoughts on this recipe..I have made it a few times with a few alterations..and have noticied as it ages it seems to bitter more. I know this seems strange..bitterness will not change over time..but possibly the sweetness from the hops mellows and brings a bit more bitter? Yooper have you noticed this? Im talking 3 to 6 months of age..

I made a double batch and went with a dry hop 1oz simcoe and .5 amarillo and .5 simcoe and 1 oz amarillo to mix it up a bit..not a clone but still great.

J
I have never noticed that it's different with age- but.........it never lasts long enough to age at my house. Even my non-IPA-loving husband likes this beer because of the hopping. It makes sense though, that the "fresh" hops would fade and then the bitterness would be more pronounced.

I changed the bittering hops this last time, and did half at 60 minutes, with the rest added continuously until gone. I think I like more bittering, or maybe next time I'll try FWH again with that half. This is going to be a house beer- I like it that much.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #160

Wow, great thread! I was having a pint of DFH 60 last night, thinking 'I need to make a beer just like this!'....I saw the extract version, but is there a PM version as well? 4 lbs is my standard grain bill.

Ericbene Likes This