Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #1261
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmcl1978 View Post
ok just brewed the extract version of this today and I only got a OG 1.052. I am new to brewing so any help would be great. Is there anything I could add to boost this up next time?
Hmmm, what was your final volume? If you used the amount of extract in the recipe then you shouldn't have come up with an OG that low, unless your final volume was larger than 5 gallons...
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Unnamable IPA, Sort of Sunshine IIPA
Bottled: English Mild, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Vienna Lager, American Amber, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #1262
abrew2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmcl1978
ok just brewed the extract version of this today and I only got a OG 1.052. I am new to brewing so any help would be great. Is there anything I could add to boost this up next time?
You should of gotten a much higher reading than that either you read it wrong or you added too much water what was your final volume

Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #1263
kevinmcl1978
Recipes 

I cooled everythin down and transferred the wort to my carboy and then I had to add some water to bring my final volume to 5 gallons. Swished this around and then poured some out into a measuring cup and poured this into the hydrometer flask. hydrometer was floating so i know i had plenty of wort in the flask. I do not know if my hydrometer is bad or what else could be the problem? any help would be much appreciated. if my og reading was read wrong is there any way to know what my final abv will be when complete?

Last edited by kevinmcl1978; 01-19-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #1264
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No other way I know of. Did you take the reading right away? What was the temperature (if you didn't measure it just approximate)? I would try and calibrate your hydrometer. Stick it in some water and take a reading. Should be close to 1 depending on your temperature.

Of course one way is to drink a bunch of the beer and see how you feel after a few hours....

Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #1265
kevinmcl1978
Recipes 

temp was right at 72D when i took the reading.
noticed when i put the hydrometer in water it looked to be about 1.04. that still would not get me to the expected obg of 1.07 i was shooting for. guess will just have to drink in a few weeks and see how i feel

Old 01-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #1266
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy d View Post
not sure if wyeast is still selling this (I think it was only til new years.) but I have had good luck with either Wyeast 1172 or White Labs 041 for any recipe that calls for pacman.
When you used WL041 Pacific Ale yeast, did the kraeusen take a little longer to drop? I went to take a reading and drop hop last night and there was still a full krauesen left. I didn't take a reading because I wanted to see if it would drop in another day or two.

Kegged: Centennial Blonde, Dry Stout and Orange American Wheat

Bottled: Nothing

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #1267
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I cooled everythin down and transferred the wort to my carboy and then I had to add some water to bring my final volume to 5 gallons. Swished this around and then poured some out into a measuring cup and poured this into the hydrometer flask. hydrometer was floating so i know i had plenty of wort in the flask. I do not know if my hydrometer is bad or what else could be the problem? any help would be much appreciated. if my og reading was read wrong is there any way to know what my final abv will be when complete?
You may not have mixed the top off water and the wort thoroughly enough before you took your hydro sample. If so, your sample was likely diluted and is the reason you are getting a lower OG reading.

Only other option would be that your hydrometer is not calibrated correctly or you read it wrong...

As far as estimating your ABV, if you added the correct amount of extract as stated in the recipe, then your OG should be around 1.070-1.072 regardless of what your hydrometer says. Brewing extract should give you pretty precise gravity figures because you don't have to worry about efficiency like you do in all grain brewing.
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Unnamable IPA, Sort of Sunshine IIPA
Bottled: English Mild, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Vienna Lager, American Amber, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #1268
HBrew71
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Kegged it last night. Had a sample -- so good!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #1269
kevinmcl1978
Recipes 

I must not have mixed it up enough (oh well) i will know next time. I am assuming it will not qffect the beer to much since i still have to transfer again
Is there an easy way to mix it up rather than picking up a 5 gall carboy and swishing around?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #1270
Esmitee
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Is there an easy way to mix it up rather than picking up a 5 gall carboy and swishing around?
What I do to mix the wort real good,using my glass carboy before AND after I add my yeast is,

I put a towel on my counter top to pad it, Put a solid or holed stopper with a plug in it in the carboy,

HOLD the stopper, and lay the carboy on it's side.

And basically roll the carboy back n forth on the towel.

It will mix the dickens out of your wort!

JUST DON'T LEAVE GO OF THE STOPPER !!!! I don't trust it to stay put LOL

I also use this method to clean the carboy with PBW after fermentation is over. It's kinda like a washing machine action.