Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #1041
norciabrewmonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You can dry hop in the primary. However, I HIGHLY recommend you use a hop bag. I just dumped my hops in. It didn't hurt the beer, but it made racking at bottling time a nightmare. My racking cane clogged three times, and the poor flow caused my priming sugar not to mix consistently.
Simplicity rules

Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #1042
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just dump my hops in too, but I wrap fine mesh bags around the bottom and the mouth of the siphon. It's still not perfect, but its only about 70% of the nightmare without it. That being said, I just ordered some hop balls from Northern Brewer today for future batches

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #1043
boltsfan
Recipes 

I am fermenting at 70-73* so I assume that is going to be ok. Weather is warm so it is hard to keep the carboy (better bottle) cool. I have it sitting in a party bucket filled with about 6-7" water and I keep adding ice packs. I also have the carboy wrapped in a damp towel. Also had to install blow off tube (my 1st) as the airlock was full of brew 18 hours later and the activity is crazy. I was barley able to get my 3/8" siphon hose over the inner piece on the airlock and have it going to a growler filed with Star San. Did I do everything right?

Due to a scheduling conflict I can dry hop after 10-11 days or wait 15-16 days. I am hoping that I can do it after 10-11 days. Thoughts...? or does it just matter when the fermentation is complete?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #1044
boltsfan
Recipes 

Also... local HBS does not have simcoe or the pacman yeast. So I talked to the guys there and substituted summit hops for the simcoe and I went with the White Labs yeast.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #1045
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan View Post
I am fermenting at 70-73* so I assume that is going to be ok. Weather is warm so it is hard to keep the carboy (better bottle) cool. I have it sitting in a party bucket filled with about 6-7" water and I keep adding ice packs. I also have the carboy wrapped in a damp towel. Also had to install blow off tube (my 1st) as the airlock was full of brew 18 hours later and the activity is crazy. I was barley able to get my 3/8" siphon hose over the inner piece on the airlock and have it going to a growler filed with Star San. Did I do everything right?

Due to a scheduling conflict I can dry hop after 10-11 days or wait 15-16 days. I am hoping that I can do it after 10-11 days. Thoughts...? or does it just matter when the fermentation is complete?
You should be fine letting it sit if fermentation is done. I brewed a batch of this in Oct 2010. I bottled it June 2011. Taste is awesome! Just make sure to dry hop just before bottling so you don't loose the aroma.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #1046
nofootbreak
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I brewed an extract batch of this on the 5th and hit the OG dead on (obviously, since its extract...). I took a gravity reading while I opened up the carboy to dryhop last Thursday and got a reading of 1.011. I assume it has continued to drop a little bit since then, but I cant imagine much. Im going to bottle on Wed, but is there a chance this beer will be too dry? I used WLP001 with a 1L starter. The sample tasted awesome, and I cant wait to try it but not sure why my gravity is so low compared to the target in the recipe.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #1047
boltsfan
Recipes 

Fermentation has slowed way down and I removed the blow off tube on Saturday. Getting a bubble in the airlock every few minutes.

Should I take a gravity reading in 1-2 days before I dry hop or wait the full 14 days? It has only been 9 days so far.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #1048
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5742 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan View Post
Fermentation has slowed way down and I removed the blow off tube on Saturday. Getting a bubble in the airlock every few minutes.

Should I take a gravity reading in 1-2 days before I dry hop or wait the full 14 days? It has only been 9 days so far.
I'd wait until about a week before you plan to bottle. When you add the dryhops then, you can check the SG just to make sure you're on track.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #1049
boltsfan
Recipes 

I usually never take a gravity reading prior to bottling and have never dry hopped before. I just want to make sure fermentation before dry hopping is complete so I guess I need to take a reading.

I can dry hop tomorrow (in the primary) and then bottle next Wed. Otherwise, I have to wait and can dry hop on Sunday night and then bottle the following Sunday (this would be a 15 day ferment versus an 11 day).

Old 08-06-2011, 02:32 AM   #1050
tekknoschtev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright. Whatever I made based on this recipe was not exactly the DFH 60 clone I was expecting, however I consider what I made to be one of the best (if not the best) homebrews I've created to date. I'm 100% glad I took a "risk" on the 10 gallon batch without a 5 gallon trial first because it means I have a while before I'll need to brew again.

So. To all who have contributed to this recipe, a major thumbs up. To all who are on the fence? Get off the fence and start brewing.