Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Does anyone else think it's stupid to have an age check on brewery websites?

Old 07-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default Does anyone else think it's stupid to have an age check on brewery websites?

I really don't get the whole "enter the date of your birth" thing that so many brewery websites have.

I mean, not even getting into how easy it is for a "minor" to defeat this ridiculous security mechanism, it's just STUPID. It's not like you're going to get drunk reading a website. I mean, sure I understand there is a law that they cannot sell or distribute alcohol to people under 21 in the U.S. But a website is not going to accomplish that. Or maybe they have invented a new internet technology that I really need to try.

It's not like you have to confirm your age to watch all the beer advertisements during televised sporting events, in magazines, on billboards, etc.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Ya, I think it is stupid. It is really frustrating when its hard to get through the system quickly. I usually just changed the year to any date I know will be greater than 21... If they have a database tracker I would bet 90%+ of the dates are January 1st of some year. Some sites are nice and they just have a link saying if you are over 21 click here.

I assume this is done cause there is a law?

Old 07-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think it's a CYA kind of thing. Pretty useless IMO but there is always some lawyer out there ready with a lawsuit.
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 07-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yeah, it's stupid. I think it's the industry just trying to show how proactive they are being in preventing underage drinking...the SCOURGE of the nation!!!!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Agreed with everything here! Especially the "its to cover their asses" statement!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
dfc

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Agreed on all counts.
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Kinda like warnings on cigarette packets. Just a stupid CYA thing.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Except those are required by law. Check out the new ones if you haven't yet: http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/L...ls/default.htm

I guess the equivalent warnings on beer packaging would be pictures of horrible car wrecks and ugly people (yes, you did sleep with him/her).

Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Whoa, hold on a minute!! I was just thinking about taking up the enriching hobby of cigarette smoking. Are you telling me there may be some sort of risk involved with that?!?!?

FYI, yes, I have been living in a cave and desparately need someone to spoon feed me information that is readily available to 99% of the public.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
FYI, yes, I have been living in a cave and desparately need someone to spoon feed me information that is readily available to 99% of the public.
"No way!! Hey Rick, check this out!"