Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > St. Louis Summer Tea - Cheap, easy, tasty!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Raisins huh? I've heard a lot of people doing that, actually I became familiar with it when I stumbled across a topic about brewing a beer made from grocery available ingredients only. I'll have to try that sometime and see if it brings any sort of additional flavor to the table.

As for the tea I used, it appears we used the same:

Maybe it was conditioning time before bottling, cabonation, lots of factors, the biggest probably being just taste though. I've got a lot of friends hooked on this, but with all honesty I have other friends who didn't like it, mostly focused beer drinkers (not insinuating anything by that). Tell you what, if you're interested in doing a bottle trade, I'd be happy to swap with you, a homebrew for a tea, shipping fee is cheap enough to find in the couch :P.

Update though on my 3 gal batch, still bubbling away but the krausen layer has fallen already, now there's just a thin layer of foam / bubbles / yeast / goodness. No clarity yet.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Jsmith82
Recipes 

DERP.

True story, bottling a batch of this last night that's been sitting in the carboy for about 8 weeks.. I grab 4 sixers of empty bottles and 6 22oz bottles, set everything on the back of my electric stove which is normal for my assembly line, but slightly out of order I then kicked the front burner on to start bringing my priming water up to a boil (I usually grab bottles after racking onto the priming solution).

I turned the back burner on by mistake...

I'm getting sani-solution together and dropping bottle caps into it when I noticed the smell, turned around, 2 of the sixers were completely smoking! Killed the heat, laughed it off, nothing was harmed but DAMN!! I do some of the stupidest !@#$ while brewing, I just don't believe myself sometimes..

At least the end product usually tastes good.

Another batch down the hatch!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
ruralbrew
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This sounded interesting so I threw together a batch of this last week. Made a 5 gallon batch, but with the addition of the sugar, water and fruit it came close to six gallons. I used table sugar, three pounds in two quarts of water to make a simple syrup, and raspberries instead of cherries. I used three cans, and dumped the whole can in. For yeast I went with a pack of T-58. Thought it might add a little complexity to the mix. It has worked well on the ciders I have used it in, and will ferment to below 1.000. Fermentation started within 12 hours and is fairly strong. It has slowed down a bit by now, but I still have a raspberry krausen on top. Being as I dumped the fruit in I will probably secondary, and add the pectic enzyme at that time.

Anyway, it looks and smells promising, and will update as it progresses.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Cheers! Definitely come back and tell, I love raspberries - I bet that batch will rock.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
ruralbrew
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I finally got my batch into the secondary last weekend. Added the pectic enzyme, and when I was in the back of the basement this morning it was so clear you could read through it. Kind of hard to describe the taste but it was good, with a nice raspberry finish. I am planning on bottling this weekend, when this gets carbed and ice cold it should go over big.
I'm planning on saving it for a party this summer at our place up north, naming it Flambeau Summer Tea.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #16
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Love it RB. This drink is different for sure. I still have a couple from a year ago I havent popped yet, definitely will share taste notes..

Its summer HBT, little money and a lot of lawn to mow? Brew 2 gallons!

Cheers

Old 06-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
matt1776
Recipes 

Looks tasty. I've got family in North County and have spent many summers in StL. Sounds like a perfect summer drink.

Matt

Old 06-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
KidDynamite
Recipes 

so no need to heat this concoction up before fermentation? I guess if the cherries and the tea come right out of the can/jug it's all sanitary, right?

how about different yeasts? I have some 1/2 packets of S-05, S-33, T-58 and Nottingham in my fridge... can I mix and match? would using two different types of yeast work, or would it cause a yeast War?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
Jsmith82
Recipes 

No need to heat it, it's ready to roll. As for different yeasts, I have not used anything but the dry montrachet. I love Nottingham, I could see that being good - not finishing so dry and retaining some sweetness. The beauty of this KD is it is incredibly cheap to make, why not pick up 4 gallons of tea and make 4 separate small batches using each yeast?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
KidDynamite
Recipes 

4 batches - good idea! although I don't want to tie up all my fermentation vessels... I'm gonna start with 1 2 gallon batch, although I'm doubling the cherries (in heavy syrup) instead of adding more sugar on the side...

I've brewed about a dozen batches of homebrew (beer, nothing like this tea), so I'm not yet savvy in the ways of the different flavors that different yeasts impart, but it's definitely something that I should experiment with as you suggested.

I did recently brew a hefe using Wyeast 3068, and I absolutely loved the banana flavors that came from it. I was also, however, pretty surprised to find that when I tasted my beer again a week later (everything is bottled, not kegged, by the way), the banana flavors had faded in a huge way and were now barely detectable...