Arrogance or Delusion? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Arrogance or Delusion?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts

So, I'm having a head-to-head comparison of my Dogfish Head 60 minute clone and the real thing.

The "real" mccoy is clear and mine is hazy (damn- forgot the Irish Moss again!) but otherwise same color, same head, etc. But, dare I say it, my clone tastes better! Don't get me wrong- that DFH 60 minute is a mighty fine beer. But for an IPA, there's not a whole lot of hops aroma.

Mine tastes very similar, but my husband described mine as "fresher" tasting. I think it's the hops aroma from the dryhopping. And I made it on 1/30/07, so maybe it is fresher!

Either I'm arrogant enough to think it's better, or else I'm delusional. Either way, I'm drinking some good beer!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts

Not arrogant. It shows your ability to make great beer. Fresh makes a difference but it took a pretty damn good effort to even get close to what I consider one of the best IPAs out there.

Great job! Now send me some. Please?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Nothing wrong with being arrogant as long as you are correct!

Congrats on making nice / great beer.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Valdosta, GA
Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts

Have you ever posted your recipe? Care to share?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #5
uglygoat

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Clebland, OH
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

like the dude said, we'll need samples for a head to head comparison...

it is always more satisfying to imbibe your own pint than pay someone else for one, even if the commercial is a standard of the style.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts

Sure, I'll share the recipe! It's not mine, just pulled together from "here and there". I'll put it in the recipes section, under IPAs. But I have it in beersmith, so if you want it emailed to you, just pm me. (With the directions on how to do it)

Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #7
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Aug 2006
New Jersey
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe you should call it Arrogant B*tch IPA. To me, there is nothing like the taste of a fresh beer. I can always tell when a bottle has been sitting around for a while. I'm glad to hear that it turned out so good. I remember a while back when you were looking for pointers on the recipe. I was genuinely curious to know how it would turn out.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Wimbledon Finals
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygoat
like the dude said, we'll need samples for a head to head comparison...

it is always more satisfying to imbibe your own pint than pay someone else for one, even if the commercial is a standard of the style.
woah, is that GG Allin? Are you Toilet Rocker?
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 03-27-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
Brewiz

Recipes 

May 2005
Stockbridge, Ga
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
So, I'm having a head-to-head comparison of my Dogfish Head 60 minute clone and the real thing.

The "real" mccoy is clear and mine is hazy (damn- forgot the Irish Moss again!) but otherwise same color, same head, etc. But, dare I say it, my clone tastes better! Don't get me wrong- that DFH 60 minute is a mighty fine beer. But for an IPA, there's not a whole lot of hops aroma.

Mine tastes very similar, but my husband described mine as "fresher" tasting. I think it's the hops aroma from the dryhopping. And I made it on 1/30/07, so maybe it is fresher!

Either I'm arrogant enough to think it's better, or else I'm delusional. Either way, I'm drinking some good beer!
Just send some my way and I'll be the judge of that statement ( Either I'm arrogant enough to think it's better, or else I'm delusional)

Old 03-27-2007, 02:40 AM   #10
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a big success. Don't worry about the chill haze. I think I've found a good way to deal with that, though. While some people think the best way is to condition it in the fridge for a couple of weeks, that takes too long for my patience. I've found that for me the best thing is to not refrigerate them at all. I keep my bottles in my basement where it's basically cellar temperature. When I want to drink I get out a container that's the right size, put the bottle in it and fill it up with ice cubes and water. 15 minutes later it's perfectly chilled, but with no haze.