American Pale Ale Toecutters honey pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
35.0 IBUs
Color
6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14@65dg
Tasting Notes
smoothe bittering, nice malty backbone, slightly sweet, nice hoppy aroma
I like Honey malt, so i whipped up this recipe and dry hopped it with amarillo. been drinking it for a couple of weeks now, friends love it, so i thought i would share the recipe. It's next on the rebrew list. Ingriedients below for a 10 gallon batch

Grain

14.0 lbs American 2 row
6.0 lbs Vienna
1.0 lbs honey malt
.5 lbs Caramel Crystal 15L
.5 lbs Caramel Crystal 30L
1.0 lb white wheat (for head retention)

mash in at 152 DG for 60 minutes. fly or batch sparge. Add hops as follows :

2.0 oz Cascade 6.0 % IBu for 60 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade 5.5% IBU 30 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade 5.5 % IBU 5 minutes
2.0 oz Amarillo 8.8 % IBU (dry Hop)

Ferment for 14 days @ 65 DG. crash chill for 3 days. siphon to 2 corneys, then fill a 2 clean short nylon stockings with 1 oz each of amarillo pellets. add something to weigh down the pellets. Tie off the opening to the stockings. drop into each keg. chill, carb for 1-2 weeks or longer and enjoy

I just dropped 10 gallons of this into the fermenter. I used the hopback this time with 1oz centennial and 1 oz amarillo for aroma.

I am going to try this beer as brew #2 in my all-grain adventure. Sounds great, will be a great spring brew and should be easy enough for this new step for me. Strictly a new guy question though, if I am scaling this down to a 5.5 gallon batch should I just halve your recipe? Or are there things to consider with the ratios that a smaller batch may warrant?

I am going to try this beer as brew #2 in my all-grain adventure. Sounds great, will be a great spring brew and should be easy enough for this new step for me. Strictly a new guy question though, if I am scaling this down to a 5.5 gallon batch should I just halve your recipe? Or are there things to consider with the ratios that a smaller batch may warrant?
yes. Split the recipe. I just ran out the other day, so I am brewing it next. Dont forget to dry hop. Amarillo or Centennial work best

Just cracked a new keg. This one I dry hopped with Citra. its wonderful. beautiful color too

honey ale.jpg

I am cooking her now. I'll let you know in a few weeks. Thanks for the recipe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Going to try this recipe out today. Couldn't get Amarillo so I substituted with Centennial and I have a few subtle tweaks.

Hi, I cannot get here in Mexico the Caramel Crystal 15 and Caramel Crystal 30L. Do you think I can substitute them for 10L and 20L or 40L? thanks!! The recipee looks great!!

Hi, I cannot get here in Mexico the Caramel Crystal 15 and Caramel Crystal 30L. Do you think I can substitute them for 10L and 20L or 40L? thanks!! The recipee looks great!!

Yes. It will just be a little lighter in color but the flavor will be pretty much the same.

I have brewed 2 batches of 5 gallons. It was fantastic. I hopped it up a bit. One of the best brews that I have done. Thanks Toecutter! 15 gallons coming up.

Is there any honey flavor form the honey malt?

The honey flavor comes from the Honey malt yes. It complements the crystal, and combined with the Vienna gives this beer a rich flavor.

I am kegging 10 gallons this week that is dry hopping with Citra right now.

Back