Age and aged... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Age and aged...

Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #1

So that one culteral thread made me want to rant... (or maybe just mope...)

Classic rock is the stuff from the late 60's and through the mid 70's. It is NOT stuff in the 80's.

80's music was great then but it ain't classic rock now...

Classic rock needs a new name to adequately describe it (I'm talking Zepplin, Deep Purple, Lynard Skinnard, etc.).

What is the best and most descriptive name it can have since classic rock rolls with the ages?

Music pre-80's was the best...
Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

How about Geezer Rock?

Don't get me wrong, I'm that age too and I like that era of music, but it's still Geezer Rock. But good stuff.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #3

How about "good music"?
Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

They play Nirvana here on the classic rock station now. WTF is wrong with people.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
desiderata

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Classic Rock is Classic Rock. We shouldn't change the name of it just because others misuse it for other music. Let them change the name of the post-classic rock stuff they play.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiderata
Classic Rock is Classic Rock. We shouldn't change the name of it just because others misuse it for other music. Let them change the name of the post-classic rock stuff they play.
Yeah, maybe they should name the 80's stuff "post good sh!t". Do you have any idea how may times I had to correct that?...

Old 03-27-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
speed
Recipes 

Apr 2006
western nebr, in the middle of the sandhills
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

classic rock ended when they introduced disco.period.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Jul 2005
near Asbury Park, NJ
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I think classic just kind of refers to a music, song, band that becomes timeless; noth that it necessarily refers to The Band, Floyd, or Led Zep. I'm ok with using the term more flexibly. I grew up on 60s-70s music, but I'm no purist to the name. My fiancee hates hearing Nirvana on the Classic Rock stations. HA!

Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
feedthebear
Recipes 

Sep 2006
Utah
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When I want to listen to Classic Rock, the earliest I want to hear is Tommy James and the Shondells. The latest I want to hear is Led Zepplin and Queen.

I sooo agree with you knipknup. One of the classic rock stations here played an hour of "songs from 1982". Freaking 1982! They were playing Asia. I was extremely pissed. Now they are playing Bon Jovi and **** like that.

I've switched to the "oldies" station. They've moved up to the 60's.
Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 03-27-2007, 04:32 AM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

Problem is that no one has thought of a good term for post-alternative music. Maybe we need Classic Alternative to allow for new alternative to grow with respect for the Seattle scene of the early to mid 90's.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.