Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Black IPA - Critique my recipe

Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #11
SDBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Here's the final recipe. I had to modify it on the fly due to availability at my local home brew store. Brew day is tomorrow. It's a double brew day (Belgian Saison will be the 2nd brew of the day).

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg L
81% 12 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
8% 1 4 Carafa Special II 30 430 ~
7% 1 0 Cane Sugar 45 0 ~
3% 0 8 American Crystal 40L 34 40 ~
14 12
Batch size: 6.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.068 / 16.6 Plato
(1.061 to 1.071)
Final Gravity
1.018 / 4.6 Plato
(1.016 to 1.020)
Color
34 SRM / 67 EBC
(Black)
Mash Efficiency
75%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Summit pellet 15.9
boil 20 mins 1.0 Summit pellet 15.9
boil 10 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 5 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 3.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
Boil: 7.8 avg gallons for 70 minutes

Bitterness
88.9 IBU / 16 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation

Alcohol
6.7% ABV / 5% ABW
Calories
225 per 12 oz.

misc
use time amount ingredient
boil 15 min 1 ea Whirlfloc Tablet

Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
SDBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
I'd certainly be interested in how yours turns out. I am just modifying another recipe from this site for a Black IPA (Heavenly Scourge). My recipe makes a few hop modifications to accomodate things on hand and replaces some of the 2Row with light DME since I am pushing the volume of my 7 gal brew kettle for my BIAB. See how you like it. Very similar to yours. A little higher alcohol.
Good to see another San Diego County brewer :=)

I'm curious how yours turns out with the Scottish ale yeast.

BIAB = Brew in a bag? I was about to say if you're doing a normal fly or batch sparge, you can just collect your additional runnings in a separate pot, and add it in as you boil off liquid. That's what I do in my 7.5 gallon kettle.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBrewer
BIAB = Brew in a bag? I was about to say if you're doing a normal fly or batch, if, you can just collect your additional runnings in a separate pot, and add it in as you boil off liquid. That's what I do in my 7.5 gallon kettle.
Hey SD Brewer, that is a good idea. I am doing a batch spathe in another pot. I have only done an all grain it once and I limited the batch sparge so I could fit it all in the boil but, of course, I could just hold back a gal for dilution at 15 min. I have been really frustrated with ending up with about 4.3 gal after the secondary between too low a boil volume and misjudging the loss from avoiding the trub. Next boil will have 6.7 gal (total after late addition of sparge). Thanks.

I'm doing the homage to sd brews at the moment. This one is close to a SUpremely self-Righteous and I have a Sculpin clone in the secondary. Then I will move on a bit.
Have you tried Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point?
Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

Old 07-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
SDBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
Hey SD Brewer, that is a good idea. I am doing a batch spathe in another pot. I have only done an all grain it once and I limited the batch sparge so I could fit it all in the boil but, of course, I could just hold back a gal for dilution at 15 min. I have been really frustrated with ending up with about 4.3 gal after the secondary between too low a boil volume and misjudging the loss from avoiding the trub. Next boil will have 6.7 gal (total after late addition of sparge). Thanks.

I'm doing the homage to sd brews at the moment. This one is close to a SUpremely self-Righteous and I have a Sculpin clone in the secondary. Then I will move on a bit.
Have you tried Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point?
Nope, I haven't tried Indra Kunindra yet. I'm a fan of Alpine Brewery's Ugly black IPA.
My black IPA brew day went well, I had a little better efficiency and ended up with 1.077 OG. I repitched harvested SafAle 05 from a previous IIPA and by the evening it was going crazy.

For adding additional runnings to the sparge for makeup, I boil the wort along side the main boil and add a small portion of the hops into that second kettle at each hop addition. Usually about half way through the boil, I can pour all the makeup wort into the main boil.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #15
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just checked the SG on this one before moving to the secondary. Although I missed my 1.077 by 0.006, I'm already almost that much below the expected FG at 1.013. 7.9% ABV and tasting nice. Another week and 4 oz of dry hops go into the carboy.

Looking forward to this one.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #16
SDBrewer
Recipes 

I just tried the black IPA today after a week in the bottle. It turned out great. Tastes like IPA, except it's black!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #17
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sounds good. I'm looking for a little roastiness and a little fuller mouthfeel. I'll report back.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Decided to put the SG sample in the refrigerator for a day to see how my brew tasted cold. What a difference! Still no carb and no dry hop but this stuff tastes great! I got both the roastiness and the body I was looking for. That wasn't at all apparent in the room temperature taste I did. Already has a nice dose of grapefruit bitter which will just improve with the additional hops. I can't wait.

By the way, I didn't use the Scottish Ale yeast. I settled on the yeast recovered from Sculpin IPA, probably very close to WLP001.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #19
SDBrewer
Recipes 

Update on the Black IPA: It is hoppy although, not overpowering. I never added the second addition of 2 oz of hops I planned on, because I never had a chance to make it to the homebrew store to get more. Could be a little more hoppier to be a true IPA. Citrus notes on the aroma and taste, medium body, slight roast aroma, hints of chocolate aroma as it warms up.