Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Do I want an eHLT ?

Old 07-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #31
AiredAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Looking at my spare right now. The 90 degree bend tube looks like it is swaged into a hollow bolt that is potted at the outer tip where the wires exit. The tube is inserted into the head of the bolt.

When the switch is installed, the sealing surfaces are the underside of the bolt and the interior surface of the vessel. The soft silicone washer goes between them.

This works very well, mine hasn't leaked at all.

Kevink, to answer your question, the seal between the tube and the nut, which isn't a nut but a hollow bolt, could leak, but it doesn't matter since the hollow bolt body is filled with epoxy potting compound which will seal it just fine.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #32
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam01 View Post
I've been getting tired of the instability of the water temp for mashing and for sparging. I use a jet burner to heat water, but it always seems to be just not the right temp.

AMEN, brother...

still working with coolers, and the thermal mass of the cooler and the 13lbs of grain changes from brew to brew, enough that I can't always get the mash temp high enough...(I am within a few degrees, but always seems on the lower side-- 151, 152...)

Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #33
AiredAle
Recipes 

The thermal mass of the cooler shouldn't change, but that of the grain will change depending on its moisture content. Do you preheat your cooler? I have found that adding the mash water and letting it set for 10 minutes to even up the temperature throughout the cooler helps with hitting my mash temperatures. Also, heating the water a couple degrees hotter than the calculations call for helps, since heat is lost during the mashing in and stirring time.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #34
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredAle View Post
The thermal mass of the cooler shouldn't change, but that of the grain will change depending on its moisture content. Do you preheat your cooler? I have found that adding the mash water and letting it set for 10 minutes to even up the temperature throughout the cooler helps with hitting my mash temperatures. Also, heating the water a couple degrees hotter than the calculations call for helps, since heat is lost during the mashing in and stirring time.
Yes - I do pre heat the cooler, but maybe not long enough ...I will try 10 mins tomorrow.. I thinlk I can improve bec I use water from the HLT to pre heat..if temp is below what I want, the water from hlt cannot make hotter...it seems tha the hlt water can never be hot enough...I crush the grains the night before, as well as collect water...not making sense bec I am so tired from making Yopper's ale (but am sure it will have been worth the effort..

Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #35
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Kirk;

Interesting way to keep the electrical wires insulated from the water. How did you
mount the elements into the chrome pipes ?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #36
AiredAle
Recipes 

Bill,

Are you using the same thermometer for measuring HLT and MT temperatures?

If your are certain your temps are accurate, then heat loss sources will be things like the transfer to MT process and equipment, natural cooling to the air, etc. Are you guessing or measuring the temp of the grain when you put that into the calculation?

When I preheat my MT (a rectangular cooler), I aim to get the water temp to a degree or two above strike temp, so I heat the water going into the MT maybe 4-5 degrees above what the calculation calls for. I can always add some cold water if it is too hot. I know I will lose a couple degrees during the ten minutes of mashing in and stirring since there is so much mixing and exposure of hot mash surface to the cool air.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #37
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Don't want to hijack thread..

Same therm, which I must replace since it is diff to read...(small dial):

I shoot for 175-180 in the hlt. idea being once I get transferred (3.5 - 4 gallons, done manually with a pitcher), I let sit for 5 mins (I should do this for 10 -15, BUT i GET IMPATIENT)...temp now should settle at 167 or so(but it never does() When I add grains, I should get a mash temp around 154.

Sat, the temp in hlt was below 180. Going to remedy this process by taking longer to pre-heat the tun, and getting a better thermometer,,,but the beer is turning out great -- no complaints there for sure ..

Need therapy for patience and money for quality thermometer !

Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #38
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

What's the hottest temp you've done in the eHLT ? Some brews I've done require 200 deg. water for a step infusion.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #39
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have boiled in mine by accident...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #40
chrisdb
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

subscribe