Challenge for the beer jedi's - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Challenge for the beer jedi's

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Irrenarzt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Half a mile from Tucson
Posts: 2,106
Liked 168 Times on 119 Posts


Salt could be the hop replacement of the time. Just a guess.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #12
ghpeel
 
ghpeel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,214
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Surely the malt extract has hops in it. If not .... ewwwww gross.
__________________
=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,924
Liked 3200 Times on 1888 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
Surely the malt extract has hops in it. If not .... ewwwww gross.
Yes, it was hopped malt extract, which since they touted it during homebrew prohibition as an additive for baking, must have made for some very hoppy cookies. Cascade macaroons anyone?

I posted a couple of the baking recipes using that extract from the old days in my beer history thread.

The salt was more than likely rudimentry water chemistry adjustments, or something else. But the extracts were hopped.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
bwarbiany's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 2,940
Liked 1335 Times on 744 Posts


The salt doesn't surprise me all that much, especially since the OP is from Virginia (Huck, is your uncle from the South as well?)... My wife's grandmother used to always salt her beer, and I take it to be a relatively common thing done in the South in the old days. She was originally from Opelika, AL. So that might be a deliberate part of the recipe.

I'm actually going to be doing a gose for my next batch, which is a beer with added salt, and naming the beer after said [now deceased] grandmother...

One thing I'd look into is the type of salt available at the time. I know the gose recipe calls for sea salt or kosher salt, as I think modern iodized salt could affect yeast health (at least intuitively, as iodophor is an iodine-based sanitizer). According to Wikipedia, iodized salt began being sold nationally in the 1920's, but it would be unclear what your uncle used...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,988
Liked 3706 Times on 3178 Posts


I remember my aunt's & uncles on dad's side putting salt in their beer to kill the head. It made it taste bitter to me,& that was just a sprinkle. I think that's way to much salt. He must've had water PH problems. A lot more wells & hand pumps next to the sink in those days when I was a kid.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
jlpred55
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Posts: 423
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Salt isn't going to make it taste bitter, if anything it should accentuate the malt. It is after all sodium chloride. Chloride is going to smooth or cut the bitterness and accentuate the malt. Same as if you were to adjust your water.

That recipe looks interesting. My guess is he also had some house yeast in there as well that probably did the bulk of the fermenting after the many generations that he pitched right into the crock sans sanitation.
__________________
Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
headbanger
 
headbanger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
The Hill, KY
Posts: 2,867
Liked 777 Times on 486 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpred55 View Post
Salt isn't going to make it taste bitter, if anything it should accentuate the malt. It is after all sodium chloride. Chloride is going to smooth or cut the bitterness and accentuate the malt. Same as if you were to adjust your water.

That recipe looks interesting. My guess is he also had some house yeast in there as well that probably did the bulk of the fermenting after the many generations that he pitched right into the crock sans sanitation.
+1, sounds interesting. I think I may give this a try, open fermented and all. Probably sub dry yeast for the cake though or re-pitch something. Sounds like a good reason to have a little cookout/party... then my friends can share the pain if it's bad, lord knows they drink enough of the good brew but I really wouldn't have it any other way.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
AnthonyC
 
AnthonyC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Tampa
Posts: 81
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I'd definitely go with a Kosher salt instead of table salt. Kosher salt is lighter by volume than table salt. So 1/4 cup kosher salt will be less "salty" than the equivalent volume of table salt.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
Huck4Food
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
VA Beach, VA
Posts: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
The salt doesn't surprise me all that much, especially since the OP is from Virginia (Huck, is your uncle from the South as well?)... My wife's grandmother used to always salt her beer, and I take it to be a relatively common thing done in the South in the old days. She was originally from Opelika, AL. So that might be a deliberate part of the recipe.

I'm actually going to be doing a gose for my next batch, which is a beer with added salt, and naming the beer after said [now deceased] grandmother...

One thing I'd look into is the type of salt available at the time. I know the gose recipe calls for sea salt or kosher salt, as I think modern iodized salt could affect yeast health (at least intuitively, as iodophor is an iodine-based sanitizer). According to Wikipedia, iodized salt began being sold nationally in the 1920's, but it would be unclear what your uncle used...
No, my great uncle was from a small town in CT. I live in Virginia at the request of the department of defense and should not be looked upon as identifying with a sub-cultural practice such as the obviously barbarous salting a perfectly good glass of beer. However I must also offer that I was raised in Phoenix, AZ and have often been told that the heat destroyed more brain cells than any amount of beer I have ever consumed.
__________________
On Deck:
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary 1: Abotts Ale Clone
Secondary 2: One Hop Blonde
Bottled/Drinking: Beer...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yes, it was hopped malt extract, which since they touted it during homebrew prohibition as an additive for baking, must have made for some very hoppy cookies.
Actually, that sounds good. Maybe dark chocolate cookies... I may have to try this.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I challenge YOU! HoppyDaze Recipes/Ingredients 10 09-10-2009 02:31 AM
The Non-Malt Challenge thejazzer Recipes/Ingredients 19 01-28-2009 08:01 PM
Challenge! Bread yeast beer swap... MikeFlynn74 Recipes/Ingredients 19 10-04-2008 05:41 PM
Anyone up for a challenge? Jayfro21 Recipes/Ingredients 8 04-24-2008 07:59 PM
bit of a challenge anderj Recipes/Ingredients 14 02-07-2008 09:07 PM


Forum Jump