Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > First time Brewer -- Irish Red Ale

Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
kennedtj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time Brewer -- Irish Red Ale

So I just bottled my first homebrew. My OG was about 1.04 and my FG was 1.01. Where does that put my alcohol content ? I think its in the range of 3.5 to 4% but not sure. I tasted it before siphoned it into my bottling bucket. I thought it tasted pretty good yet flat as expected. It didn't taste like it was to strong but I am not sure if that is normal or not. any thoughts?

iRISHdRINKER

Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
poislb
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedtj View Post
So I just bottled my first homebrew. My OG was about 1.04 and my FG was 1.01. Where does that put my alcohol content ? I think its in the range of 3.5 to 4% but not sure. I tasted it before siphoned it into my bottling bucket. I thought it tasted pretty good yet flat as expected. It didn't taste like it was to strong but I am not sure if that is normal or not. any thoughts?

iRISHdRINKER
Welcome aboard, your at 3.94% abv

Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
PUD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You just entered into a world of ____________.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4683 Times on 2801 Posts
Likes Given: 3954

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUD View Post
You just entered into a world of ____________.
both shadows and substance, of things and ideas?

Signpost ahead? Rod Serling?

what?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
kennedtj
Recipes 

thanks all......i know its only been carbonating for about 36 hours but how do you tell if its carbonating right? I used priming sugar and boiled it in with water and put it into my bottling bucket before i siphoned the beer into it. I'm pretty sure thats what i was supposed to do. Just wondering if I should see anything in hte bottles as I wait. I have them in a room right around 69-70 degrees. I'm just getting so anxious to drink it!!!!

iRISHdRINKER

Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4683 Times on 2801 Posts
Likes Given: 3954

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedtj View Post
thanks all......i know its only been carbonating for about 36 hours but how do you tell if its carbonating right? I used priming sugar and boiled it in with water and put it into my bottling bucket before i siphoned the beer into it. I'm pretty sure thats what i was supposed to do. Just wondering if I should see anything in hte bottles as I wait. I have them in a room right around 69-70 degrees. I'm just getting so anxious to drink it!!!!

iRISHdRINKER
There's only one trick that I know to determine carbonation (and a second trick that my friend swears by, but I've not had any success).

1: When you bottle, use a single 16oz plastic soda bottle. You'll be able to squeeze it and feel an increase in pressure. I don't do this myself, but I believe it works. DO NOT USE A WATER BOTTLE; MAKE SURE TO USE A CONTAINER THAT NORMALLY CONTAINS CARBONATED DRINKS.

2. My friend tips the bottle a few times and can tell by the bubbles / foam inside the neck of the bottle if it is carbed or not. I've tried this, but I haven't been able to correlate what I see with carbonation.

At your temps, you probably won't get adaquate carbonation for 2 weeks. At 75, mine are moderately carbonated at 1 week, at 2 weeks they are good enough to share with my neighbor, at 3 weeks I can enter them in a comp. Increasing the temps will significantly speed up carbonation.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
kennedtj
Recipes 

so should i have my bottles sitting at a temp of say 72-74 degrees instead of 69-70?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

no, leave them where they are. Patience! Taste one after 2 weeks, and see if it "hisses" when you pop the cap. If you are REALLY impatient, pop one open after one week, and you should hear a little hiss of carbonation.

But waiting is better!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
SarahMatt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJohn View Post
no, leave them where they are. Patience! Taste one after 2 weeks, and see if it "hisses" when you pop the cap. If you are REALLY impatient, pop one open after one week, and you should hear a little hiss of carbonation.

But waiting is better!!!
Oh man! I agree that waiting is better, no doubt. But, damn if I can hold out. Honestly, I hide the bottles. After a few days, I forget about them.
Out of site, out of mind!!!

Here's to the girl in the little red shoes,
she'll take all your money & drink all your brews!
She doesn't have her cherry, but that's not a sin;
she still has the box that her cherry came in

Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Kegcowboy
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome!!