Beer: Rye Pale Ale
Specialty grain (all 175 deg for 60 min):
- 2 lbs Briess Rye
- 2 lbs Rahr 2-Row pale malt
- 1 lb Carared
- 1 lbs Amber dry extract (60 min)
- 6 lbs Amber malt syrup late addition (15 min)
- 2 oz Warrior (60 min)
- 1.5 oz Cascade, 0.25 oz Warrior, 0.25 oz Simcoe (15 min)
- 1.5 oz Cascade, 0.25 oz Warrior, 0.25 oz Simcoe (0 min)
- 1 oz Warrior, 1 oz Cascade (dry hop)
Carbonation: 4.3oz cane sugar, in bottle 2 weeks
Process comments: My first try at a recipe of my own design. Grains in 2 mesh bags in 3.5 gal at 175 deg in the oven for an hour. Plus up to about 7 gallons and bring to a boil in the turkey fryer. Add extract and Warrior hops. Boil. Follow hopping instructions, cool, pitch, ferment, transfer to secondary, bottle.
Tasted great...like a good IPA with a really rich mouthfeel.
Runner-up, Best of Show in The Elevator Brewery 2011 Procrastinator Competition