Do i need the protein rest? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Do i need the protein rest?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
timmystank
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I'm doing a Dixie blackened voodoo lager clone and it calls for a protein rest. I've never done one and don't really want to, just wanna know if it's absolutely necessary. The bill is as such, 16# 2 row, 5# 6 row, 1.5# chocolate and .75# C80. I understand that 6 row should get the protein rest, but at 21.5% of the bill and it being a darker brew I'm leaning fiestas forgoing it. Anyone have any input on this?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Bennett Springs, MO
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

What is the purpose of the 6-row in this recipe? I think you could safely sub 2-row for the 6-row and not worry about the protein rest at all.

6-row is good for mashes high in unmalted starchy adjuncts, like corn or rice or flaked grains. It is also extra husky, so could help with sparging beers with high wheat contents. Besides those two applications, I don't see why you'd want to use 6-row.

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 07-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
timmystank
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I couldn't tell you why. Just following the recipe. Thanks for the input though, I'll look into it.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Dec 2009
north atlanta
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmystank View Post
Yeah I couldn't tell you why. Just following the recipe. Thanks for the input though, I'll look into it.
Could I get the entire recipe for this beer please?