Extra Thick O-Rings? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Extra Thick O-Rings?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
 
Cpt_Kirks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,723
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts



Who carries the extra thick keg lid o-rings?

I have a couple of kegs that simply WILL NOT seal properly. Unless the pressure is over 20psi, they will leak around the lid. Reduce the pressure to pour, and the leaking is constant.

I'm hoping thicker o-rings will make the seal tight.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
heferly
 
heferly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Westbrook, CT
Posts: 743
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Not sure on the answer, but did you check the feet on the lid? Sometimes the plastic wears down, or the feet are bent too wide and won't pull the lid enough
__________________
Basement Cafe Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Ace_Club's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Chicago, IL
Posts: 43,844
Liked 2385 Times on 2187 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Who carries the extra thick keg lid o-rings?

I have a couple of kegs that simply WILL NOT seal properly. Unless the pressure is over 20psi, they will leak around the lid. Reduce the pressure to pour, and the leaking is constant.

I'm hoping thicker o-rings will make the seal tight.

Why not check Mcmaster Carr? You can look up the dimensions for the current o-rings and then just get a slightly thicker o-ring.
__________________
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded.

Where are guys? - Ginger

Eat a bag of kittens, Ace. - Yooper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DeafSmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Richardson, TX
Posts: 1,448
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts


http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG-L...NG-P58C78.aspx

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
Wow, $5 for an o-ring? I guess if it works it's worth it.

_

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,333
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts


The silicone version of the correct size is definitely softer and more forgiving. I don't know if you really need a larger diameter. Mcmaster has inexpensive 5 packs.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
New Stirplates are IN!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
 
Cpt_Kirks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,723
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by heferly View Post
Not sure on the answer, but did you check the feet on the lid? Sometimes the plastic wears down, or the feet are bent too wide and won't pull the lid enough
That is part of the issue. The bail does not pull the lid tight enough. However, hitting the lid with 20psi should seal it, even with the pressure dropped to 12psi for serving.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
LordUlrich
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Rochester, MN
Posts: 540
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


I went with the Williams brewing $5 orings, never had a problem sense, i wish i would have sooner. My kegs used to be picky, need to be pressurized, etc... Now i just close the lid, and it is sealed, every time.
__________________
Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Ace_Club's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Chicago, IL
Posts: 43,844
Liked 2385 Times on 2187 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LordUlrich View Post
I went with the Williams brewing $5 orings, never had a problem sense, i wish i would have sooner. My kegs used to be picky, need to be pressurized, etc... Now i just close the lid, and it is sealed, every time.
What is the width of the o-ring? If you can measure and let us know, we can then spec out the Mcmaster Carr version.

Normal keg o-rings are 1/4" wide.
__________________
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded.

Where are guys? - Ginger

Eat a bag of kittens, Ace. - Yooper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,455
Liked 278 Times on 211 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
That is part of the issue. The bail does not pull the lid tight enough. However, hitting the lid with 20psi should seal it, even with the pressure dropped to 12psi for serving.
I have solved the same problem with a couple pairs of vice grips, I tweak the bail to seal the lid more tightly.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing


I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone have extra diptube o-rings? NickN72 Bottling/Kegging 1 06-16-2011 10:03 AM
thick head from keg paraordnance Bottling/Kegging 2 11-06-2010 02:50 AM
O-Rings Boomer Bottling/Kegging 1 04-03-2010 09:17 PM
111 O-rings samc Bottling/Kegging 2 12-10-2009 03:07 PM
Keg O-rings. AHammer16 Bottling/Kegging 6 02-09-2006 06:34 PM


Forum Jump