Imperial Stout Rapture Russian Imperial Stout - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Imperial Stout Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #81
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Columbus
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

FYI an easy alternative yeast option is using 2 packets of 04 - It finishes sweet and works fast and clean in big stouts. I've had alot of success with it, more so than 05 in this style.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #82
NivekD

Recipes 

Dec 2012
West Jordan, Utah
Liked 101 Times on 83 Posts

Cracked open a bottle for Stout Day...WOW this is a wonderful RIS...HAPPY STOUT DAY!!

Brewed this back in March.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #83
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I brewed this beer back in April with the intent to make some christmas gifts out of it in the process. It was actually the second beer I've EVER brewed. All i have to say is thank god for beginner's luck because this beer is amazing!

Brewed: 4/20 (og: 1.132)
Re-Racked with Angel's Envy Bourbon Barrel Chips: 6/16 (1.023)
Bottled: 11/21 (1.024)

Made 18 bombers with ~3.75 gallons in the final product. I waxed the tops and added custom labels, and then added bottle x of y to the bottles to add the extra flair...

Freeride - where'd you get your labels from?
Currently Bottled: Comfort and Joy (2012), Tervuren Whiskey Oaked Russian Imperial Stout, Belgian Strong Dark Ale, Cuvée de Bay Strawberry Sour, Crush a Cup of Wine Saison (Sauvignon Blanc), Petite deJeuner Belgian Dubbel Breakfast, Bubba's Milky Nut Butter Stout
On-Deck: Quatrieme Quad, Hefeweizen

Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #84
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts

My biggest beer yet is another stout with roughly 18 lbs of grain. This has 4 more...I'm using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I fly sparge any tips? I was at capacity during that batch. But I'm dying to brew an ris

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #85
dcHokie

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBrew13 View Post
My biggest beer yet is another stout with roughly 18 lbs of grain. This has 4 more...I'm using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I fly sparge any tips? I was at capacity during that batch. But I'm dying to brew an ris

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app
My 10G cooler MLT was nearly maxed with the 22+ lb grist at a 1.25L/lb mash ratio (although the old "Can I Mash It? calculator says you can squeeze closer to 30 LBS in with a thicker mash).

I batch sparged it, but I don't see why you couldn't fly-sparge if you start running off a bit before beginning your sparge. A mash-out might be tricky though.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #86
freeride
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Chicago, IL
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradthoc View Post
Freeride - where'd you get your labels from?
I can't seem to find the exact brand, but I got something like this at my local homebrew store: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Textured...+Bottle+Labels

I printed quickly on my laser printer and actually like the clean, simple result.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #87
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I can't seem to find the exact brand, but I got something like this at my local homebrew store: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Textured...+Bottle+Labels

I printed quickly on my laser printer and actually like the clean, simple result.
Thanks! Just really liked the little extra touches of your lable (brew date, bottle numbers, etc.).
Currently Bottled: Comfort and Joy (2012), Tervuren Whiskey Oaked Russian Imperial Stout, Belgian Strong Dark Ale, Cuvée de Bay Strawberry Sour, Crush a Cup of Wine Saison (Sauvignon Blanc), Petite deJeuner Belgian Dubbel Breakfast, Bubba's Milky Nut Butter Stout

Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #88
freeride
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Chicago, IL
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradthoc View Post
Thanks! Just really liked the little extra touches of your lable (brew date, bottle numbers, etc.).
Thanks a lot! I knew I wanted to make some ageable beer as Christmas gifts. I was loving how the taste was developing after primary and throughout the secondary fermentors, so I knew I had my beer. Thus, I spent some time figuring out how to take this gift to the next level!

In related news, I brewed this beer again on 1/2/14. Used a 3-step mash on my new digitial single-tier system (protein, sach, and dext rests). I wanted to step up the mouthfeel and "thickness" of the beer. Kegged 5 gallons, and an uncarbbed taster....two words: NAILED IT!!!

UKJay1971 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #89
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Las Vegas, NV

Just finished this last night. OG at 1.15, and used a WLP007 starter. Taste at yeast pitching was nice. Sweet, chocolate, coffee. Looking forward to putting it on local whiskey soaked Oaked chips in a month or so!

Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #90
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Las Vegas, NV

Just an update on mine... Tasted a small today. Sweet, chocolate, some oak/vanilla. Not as much of a whiskey flavor as I had hoped for. I'm hoping another month will perhaps improve this area. But, a question while I'm on the topic - as this is my first bourbon-esque beer with oak chips. I soaked the oak chips in whiskey for 2 months prior. When transferring to secondary I strained the chips and put them in the fermenter. Was this the best way to do it? Should I have transferred some of the whiskey itself into the Carboy, or has the batch itself told me to use more oak next time? I used roughly 2oz. This time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew