Alferman Imperial Berliner Weisse - Page 8 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes > Alferman Imperial Berliner Weisse

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #71
Morkin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Missouri
Posts: 318
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post
What do you think will happen if you wait longer to pitch the beer yeast? I may have got drunk and blew off pitching the beer yeast for 3 or 4 days instead of the recommended 2 days.
Should be fine.


__________________
Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #72
Morkin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Missouri
Posts: 318
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound180 View Post
Well mine has been on lacto for just under 48 hrs and I'm pretty sure that it took! I did my own starter from the OP and it seems as though it is working great! Pitching the yeast tonight.
Looks about right. I'd say that the grey portions look a bit strange, but this beer isn't exactly normal. Taste is really the only way you know this worked correctly. Some pelicals are crazy and some are more refined.


__________________
Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #73
Wolfhound180
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Quantico, Virginia
Posts: 411
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkin

Looks about right. I'd say that the grey portions look a bit strange, but this beer isn't exactly normal. Taste is really the only way you know this worked correctly. Some pelicals are crazy and some are more refined.
Yea the grey parts are just lighting issues with my camera phone. The pellicle was pretty much solid white. Been fermenting for a week or so now around 65 F. Going to keep it there for another week before I let it warm up into the 70s again. How long is normal to let this stuff sit before kegging?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #74
Morkin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Missouri
Posts: 318
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound180 View Post
Yea the grey parts are just lighting issues with my camera phone. The pellicle was pretty much solid white. Been fermenting for a week or so now around 65 F. Going to keep it there for another week before I let it warm up into the 70s again. How long is normal to let this stuff sit before kegging?
Good! I didn't want to freak you out, but a grey material on the pellicle would mean some type of mold or undesirable.

As for how long, make sure it hits its final gravity. Since you are kegging, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you bottle, you will want to make sure it is all the way done fermenting.

I usually give it a couple of months, just to make sure, but if the sourness is right for you, then once it is done fermenting, keg it.
__________________
Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #75
Chub
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Chicago
Posts: 14

So I pretty much followed the recipe exactly. Brewed it on May 18. Took a hydro sample this weekend and it was at 1.012. Flavor was like sauerkraut juice, with a tiny pickle juice background. Anyone ever get anything like this?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #76
elproducto
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Ontario
Posts: 1,116
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


I'm drinking my batch of berliner weisse using homemade lacto, that was also brewed in May. It is VERY clean, and reminds me more of lemonade than pickles.
__________________
Fall Line Brewing Company

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #77
Morkin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Missouri
Posts: 318
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub View Post
So I pretty much followed the recipe exactly. Brewed it on May 18. Took a hydro sample this weekend and it was at 1.012. Flavor was like sauerkraut juice, with a tiny pickle juice background. Anyone ever get anything like this?
Sounds like you got something other than lacto in there.... The lacto starter does smell bad and in many cases. Time usually cleans these up, but it should never taste like sauerkraut....
__________________
Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #78
america
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
seattle, wa
Posts: 150
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I made my batch on May 31st and just tasted it this weekend as well. So far its not too tart but I get more of a lemonade taste than anything else... Hope that clears up for you Chub.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #79
VinceF
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Posts: 68
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


I just brewed this yesterday. Thanks for all the great info, the starter worked just like expected. I kept it in the garage to keep warm, not too hard to do in south Texas. So far so good.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1416467446.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	64537  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #80
Chub
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Chicago
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkin View Post
Sounds like you got something other than lacto in there.... The lacto starter does smell bad and in many cases. Time usually cleans these up, but it should never taste like sauerkraut....
My lacto starter smelled a little like nail polish remover. Probably not a good thing. What smell should I expect out of the starter?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump