Brett Beer Saison Brett - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes > Brett Beer Saison Brett

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #41
sbuchan
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I brewed this on 1/26/13 and pulled a sample tonight. Smells fantastic, lots of funk with just a hint of tartness. The taste though... I'm getting a cidery, semi-sweet finish (at 1.004). I brewed this with White Labs Farmhouse Blend II and a started I made with Logsdon Farmhouse Seizoen Bretta. Any idea what happened? Should I just let it sit another month or so?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #42
thasnazzle
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Austin, TX
Posts: 136
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


If you fermented with sacch and brett you definitely shouldn't be bottling any time soon. The brett is going to keep eating at some of the residual sugar, it should get dryer over the next few months. Brett just takes a while when it's stressed and working with sacch.
__________________
Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #43
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts


If I was to do this beer again I wouldn't even think about bottling anytime before 6-8 months and even then i'd be cautious..... And besides Brett works differently when pitched with sacch and it takes a long time for for those Brett flavors to fully develop. Trust me don't rush this beer. It is a great great beer I have won a first and second place with this beer and was less than 1 point away from best of show at one competition. Patience is key with this one but the results are well worth the wait.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #44
dwarven_stout
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Posts: 1,608
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuchan View Post
I brewed this on 1/26/13 and pulled a sample tonight. Smells fantastic, lots of funk with just a hint of tartness. The taste though... I'm getting a cidery, semi-sweet finish (at 1.004). I brewed this with White Labs Farmhouse Blend II and a started I made with Logsdon Farmhouse Seizoen Bretta. Any idea what happened? Should I just let it sit another month or so?
Like these other guys have said, let it run a little longer. I bottle most of my brett secondary beers around the 6 month mark (brett primaries after around 6-8 weeks). That Logsdon strain should take it down a little lower and give you some cheesy straw funk.
__________________
"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #45
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts


Another tidbit of info about Brett ...... No need to worry about a secondary ever unless you plan to add fruit or dry hop etc.... Autolysis will NOT happen.

Brett unlike sacch will canabalize and eat the dead Brett and Sachh as food for the long work ahead of them. This is the main reason beers like lambic or Flanders beers can remain in primary for a year plus with no problems. So no one gets confused I'm not referring to bacteria which dies off at either a higher ph or as the abv rises. Brett is the roach of the yeast world it will survive almost anything. The longer you leave the beer on the Brett the more the funk will stand out.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #46
lunshbox
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 128
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Another tidbit of info about Brett ...... No need to worry about a secondary ever unless you plan to add fruit or dry hop etc.... Autolysis will NOT happen.

Brett unlike sacch will canabalize and eat the dead Brett and Sachh as food for the long work ahead of them. This is the main reason beers like lambic or Flanders beers can remain in primary for a year plus with no problems. So no one gets confused I'm not referring to bacteria which dies off at either a higher ph or as the abv rises. Brett is the roach of the yeast world it will survive almost anything. The longer you leave the beer on the Brett the more the funk will stand out.
Indeed. I am repitching a brett trois that is in its 5th slurry iteration. I just keep dumping on the cake. Not Bandaids yet.
__________________
Primary: Old Bootlegger Imperial Porter, Mill Worker's Breakfast Oatmeal Coffee Porter
Secondary: Oud Bruin, Berlinner Weisse, Apfelwein
Barrel: Whiskey :P
Kegged: Mill Worker's Breakfast Base
Planned: Pure-T Pale with Citra, G-Town Brown 2.1, Muddy Banks Irish Red

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #47
kevin476
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 182
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


So, I think I am going to brew this and some other saisons similar to it, I will keg condition some but others I will do a sacch yeast then long brett and then bottle condition with wine yeast, what do you guys add for sugar at bottling after you take a beer like this down to 1.006-1.000? Hopefully I will get to brew this within a few weeks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #48
theveganbrewer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,929
Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts


I happened to have a bottle of Saison-Brett in my cellar ready to be consumed. I wonder, is one bottle enough? Should I make a tiny starter with the dregs first?
__________________
-Retired Homebrewer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #49
dwarven_stout
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Posts: 1,608
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts


When I bottle this, I use Beersmith to calculate 3 vol CO2, and figure that the residual brett will give me more like 3.5 when all is said and done.

As far as making a starter from the Boulevard Saison Brett dregs, I have successfully used a fresh bottle's dregs, pitched at the same time as the primary yeast. If your bottle is 2010 or 11 vintage, you might want to step it up once.
__________________
"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #50
AmandaK
 
AmandaK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
KCMO
Posts: 1,498
Liked 142 Times on 106 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
As far as making a starter from the Boulevard Saison Brett dregs, I have successfully used a fresh bottle's dregs, pitched at the same time as the primary yeast. If your bottle is 2010 or 11 vintage, you might want to step it up once.
As another data point, I brewed this last September 2012 and co-pitched 3724, a 2010 vintage and a 2011 vintage and it's pretty funky now.
__________________
BJCP Master Beer Judge

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brett L Belgian Golden Strong and Brett B Saison Partigyle youreanimpulse Recipes/Ingredients 2 03-21-2015 01:33 AM
My First Brett Saison jrfehon Lambic & Wild Brewing 72 08-02-2014 11:11 AM
Help with recipe for brett pale ale or brett saison TNTgill Lambic & Wild Brewing 14 06-13-2014 08:35 PM
Saison with Yeast Bay Saison Brett Blend geoffey Fermentation & Yeast 6 04-15-2014 10:55 AM
Brett Saison nberk Lambic & Wild Brewing 13 10-20-2012 04:24 PM


Forum Jump