Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD-SLIM

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs Hefeweizen IV
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Lemon-Lime in your face flavor....real easy to drink and drink and drink!
After brewing this beer several times and having other people brew it as well....I can tell you this will be one of your favorite recipes!

All Grain
  • 6.25lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
  • 4lbs White Wheat Malt
  • 1lb Vienna Malt
  • ****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
  • 0.25 Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes
  • 0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
  • 0.25 Motueka Hops 20 minutes
  • 0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
  • 0.50 Lime Zest 5 Minutes
  • White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
  • ****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
  • After Vigorous Fermentation subsides, add 1.75L Simply Limeade
  • ****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

Extract
  • 7lbs 12.6 Ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract
  • 10.7 Ounces of Pale Liquid Extract
  • Follow rest of All Grain Recipe
This beer is a great every day drinker, I recommend a frosty mug and a lime garnish!

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

I shared this with some friends in a brew group...they decided to make it with simply grapefruit, and said that it turned out amazing...and that the lemony hops really added a complexity to this beer recipe.
So two variation to a great Hefeweizen!

That does sound amazing. I'm a big fan of hefeweizen I am going to try this recipe out as well. Thanks for sharing it :)

Do you have a source for Sorachi hops? The only place I knew was AHS and now they dont have it on the website anymore. I never heard of Motueka hops, are they also lemon flavor / aroma?

Thanks. I was planning on ordering from BMW at one point. I guess I should remember to pickup some Motueka from them.

I usually buy from AHS, NB

Pivzavod said:
Thanks. I was planning on ordering from BMW at one point. I guess I should remember to pickup some Motueka from them.

I usually buy from AHS, NB

Yeah those are my first stops for supplies as well, but BMW is pretty good and the best place for bottles (they don't charge extra for shipping)!

I just finished up brewing this, but I got greedy, sparged with too much water and didn't adjust the grain bill. So, I ended up with an OG of 1.042 instead of 1.051. It should still be good, hopefully it will be even more of a session beer.

How many limes did you end up using to get the right amount of zest?

I bought 4, and that gave me enough!

I have my own question about when you add the Limeade though... did you rack the wort to secondary on top of the limeade, or did you rack/pour the limeade through a funnel directly into the primary?

Thanks!

Sorry everyone...I was in Sturgis for the Bike Ralley and was too busy watching all the naked Women, that I didnt check my e-mails.

-Stblindtiger...you should be o.k., and you might consider adding more limeade to increase the amount of fermentable sugars
- In regards to the limes, 2 large 4 small should do the trick
-As for a extract recipe....7lbs 12.6 ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract and 10.7 ounces of Pale Liquid Extract.

Hope this helps, I hope you enjoy and Happy Brewing!

Almost forgot....for the racking, wait 24 hours after initial fermentation and then add the limeade to the primary fermenter...if you added it all on the first day, you would have lime wort all over your house (it's that explosive)!

Thanks for the info on the Limeade addition! I wasn't sure if you racked it to secondary or not...

Can't wait to try this one!

stblindtiger said:
Thanks for the info on the Limeade addition! I wasn't sure if you racked it to secondary or not...

Can't wait to try this one!

Yeah just wait for it to calm down a little and then add the limeade, leave in the primary of 3 weeks (from start to finish) and you will have a great beer!

What what would be a good sub for mutueka and sorachi? They don't have them on Midwest or Austin home brew

I really don't think there are many substitutes for these if you really want to get the lemonny flavor. I bought mine from brewmasterswarehouse (I even bought the hefe yeast there and had it shipped from ATL to Philly in the middle of the summer!) and everything has worked out fine for me so far. My local homebrew supply had the other hop that BMW didn't.... just keep looking around you will find them. I think there were links posted earlier on in this thread as well...

I agree...these hops are very unique and act as lemon explosions in beer and would be impossible to sub... www.rebelbrewer.com has both types in stock now, and after trying them in your beer you will understand why they are so important!

craig_reed said:
Can't wait to brew this. No secondary at all right?

I wouldn't...the conditioning phase won't clear this beer up, but it will clean up byproducts and heavy sugars...so I rarely use a secondary.

A new twist to this beer for everybody who brewed it...pour it on ice, add a shot of Patron Silver and it makes one he'll of a margarita!

I racked it into a keg, and force carbed it over night last night. I just took a quick sample a few minutes ago.... and, WOW! Amazing flavor! Very nice beer!

A few weeks ago I told someone that I had made this beer, and they were like, "Oh, like a Bud Light Lime?" I hadn't even thought about that beer, so I immediately got scared about what this beer would turn out to be like.... THANK GOD it was nothing like that crapola!

Beautiful beer, with a nice lemon-lime bite to it at the back end. Nice lemon lime aroma, lacing all down the glass (and it's not even all the way carbed up yet!), nice solid mouthfeel, just an all around good beer. VERY drinkable!

I will definitely do this one again! Thanks for the recipe!

We are having a few people over on Monday, so I'll let you know what they think of it too!

stblindtiger said:
I racked it into a keg, and force carbed it over night last night. I just took a quick sample a few minutes ago.... and, WOW! Amazing flavor! Very nice beer!

A few weeks ago I told someone that I had made this beer, and they were like, "Oh, like a Bud Light Lime?" I hadn't even thought about that beer, so I immediately got scared about what this beer would turn out to be like.... THANK GOD it was nothing like that crapola!

Beautiful beer, with a nice lemon-lime bite to it at the back end. Nice lemon lime aroma, lacing all down the glass (and it's not even all the way carbed up yet!), nice solid mouthfeel, just an all around good beer. VERY drinkable!

I will definitely do this one again! Thanks for the recipe!

We are having a few people over on Monday, so I'll let you know what they think of it too!

I am glad to hear you liked it...with the warm weather in Texas, it has rapidly become one of my favorite beers!

craig_reed said:
Probably one hell of a headache too!

No headaches to report as of yet...but it's a 3 day weekend, so lord only knows how much I might consume tonight!

SD-SLIM said:
No headaches to report as of yet...but it's a 3 day weekend, so lord only knows how much I might consume tonight!

Yeah no doubt just wish I had I ready. I'll buy the hops tonight... Won be able to brew until next weekend

I just ran out of this beer, hopefully I get a chance to brew some more and experiment with some of the changes all of you did with it!

Yeah, don't mix it with tequila! :fro:

Seriously... it's a good brew the way it is. I brought what was left to my In-Laws house last night for a small party, and it's all gone now.

This will be the first beer I brew for next summer though!

Thanks again!

Exactly what I was looking for as a Christmas gift beer for a friend!!! Now I am just hoping that my LHBS has these hops in stock. If not, I will be hoping for quick shipping so I can get to brewing.

Jester said:
Exactly what I was looking for as a Christmas gift beer for a friend!!! Now I am just hoping that my LHBS has these hops in stock. If not, I will be hoping for quick shipping so I can get to brewing.

You will love it...let's know how it turns out

You will love it...let's know how it turns out

Was just back on the thread to update and reread the pages to make sure I didn't miss anything.

My LHBS did have the hops that I needed, so today has become a brew day. I do have to go get the limes so I can zest them (which is something I have never done before). Plus I need to find the Lime-Aid for once fermentation starts.

Is everyone kegging or has anyone bottle conditioned? I normally wait three weeks before even trying a brew after bottling. Same with this or could I get away with around 2 weeks, which would be great since that will put it right in Christmas day. Hahahaa

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jeremy

Latest posts

Back