Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another LHBS Rant

Old 03-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'd rather buy (and do buy) from a homebrew shop that only stocks small quantities, than one that has large quantities of stuff that they can't sell, and which gets stale!
I call them about 1 month before I need something, and let them know what I want. If they have it in stock, I pick it up. Otherwise, they order what I want, and I pick it up a few weeks later.
I once made the mistake of buying 10 lbs of rancid crystal malt from another store.

-a.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
That does suck. So what did you end up doing?
Nothing. I was only at that shop because I happened to be in that part of the state yesterday, and I was running errands. I didn't have time to go up to Appleton, which is where I normally go, so I never got any ingredients to brew with. I'll try to get up there this week sometime and maybe brew next weekend, if SWMBO doesn't give me a honey-do list.....

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We have some decent shops in the Milwaukee area. Good selections of yeast and grain.

I'm trying to work an angle for 50 lb bags of 2-row. I order a lot of bakery ingredients for work like sugar, flour, etc. My distributor delivers to me twice a week and is down in Chicago every two weeks to pick up ingredients at Cargill.

I'm pretty sure I can special order some 2-row and have it delivered right along with my other ingredients.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
greg75

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
And curiously enough- the LHBS that seemed stunned when I asked about milling the grain (a 5 pound bag on the shelf) is in the state of ..........Wisconsin. They didn't have any yeast, either, beyond a couple of leftover lager yeasts.

Maybe the Wisconsin stores that are the "bait, gas, deli" stores are trying to break into the HBS game thinking it'll be an easy way to make extra cash. I don't know- I still have to either order online or drive all the way to Appleton (2 1/2 hours each way!).
I just got all my stuff for my first AG in Appleton on Friday. It's a good shop. But, if you're driving from the UP, why not just go to the LHBS in Green Bay? It's still a long drive, but it will save you at least 70 miles round trip. I've been there once, and it seems like a nice place. I went there because they had the weldless kettle thermometer I wanted in stock. While there, I also bought an immersion chiller (impulse buy).

http://www.houseofhomebrew.com/?

Old 03-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Nothing. I was only at that shop because I happened to be in that part of the state yesterday, and I was running errands. I didn't have time to go up to Appleton, which is where I normally go, so I never got any ingredients to brew with. I'll try to get up there this week sometime and maybe brew next weekend, if SWMBO doesn't give me a honey-do list.....
Hmmm...I was under the impression you were near Milwaukee.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #16
greg75

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Hmmm...I was under the impression you were near Milwaukee.
I'm in Fond du Lac, Bernie. I've been to just about every LHBS North of Fond du Lac. I go mostly to Homebrew Market in Appleton due to their proximity. I've been to Grape, Grain, and Bean once. My wife dragged me up to some mega kitchen supply store that was closing it's doors, and lo and behold, there was a HBS. I thought it was a decent shop. The people there were really helpful, too. I wasn't there to buy ingredients, but I did buy Palmer's book, and a bottle sanitizer. So, as far as equipment, I thought it was actually a very good shop. They also had MLTs prebuilt (5 gallon variety round Gott style...pretty expensive, but at least they had some). I think you're right, though, it sounds like they taylor to the extract brewer. Most of their grains are probably ordered for steeping purposes.

But, my favorite HBS experience was at Point Brew Supply in Stevens Point. It's quite a haul for me to go there, but it's really worth it if you have some free time. The owners there are so helpful, and their prices are in line with the online megasites. And, I guarantee they have enough grain for whatever your needs. They do business online also, if you don't mind paying a bit for shipping. I've only been there once, but I'd like to go again.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #17
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I got charged $2.50 a pound for wheat malt yesterday. $75.0 for 3 pounds ! There happens to be a malting company right in town and I could have bought it for $0.40 a pound or $22 for s 55 pound bag.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg75
I just got all my stuff for my first AG in Appleton on Friday. It's a good shop. But, if you're driving from the UP, why not just go to the LHBS in Green Bay? It's still a long drive, but it will save you at least 70 miles round trip. I've been there once, and it seems like a nice place. I went there because they had the weldless kettle thermometer I wanted in stock. While there, I also bought an immersion chiller (impulse buy).

http://www.houseofhomebrew.com/?
Thanks- I might go there sometime. Actually, GB and Appleton are about the same distance from me- a little southeast to GB and a little southwest to Appleton. I mostly order online, unless I'm going to Appleton anyway.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-25-2007, 11:49 PM   #19
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg75

But, my favorite HBS experience was at Point Brew Supply in Stevens Point. It's quite a haul for me to go there, but it's really worth it if you have some free time. The owners there are so helpful, and their prices are in line with the online megasites. And, I guarantee they have enough grain for whatever your needs. They do business online also, if you don't mind paying a bit for shipping. I've only been there once, but I'd like to go again.

I know. I think I'm the one that pointed you in that direction(sorry 'bout the bad pun ) If you want to go again sometime PM me. If I'm not busy, I'll go with.

EDIT: you prolly didn't know it was me- I was ablrbrau back then, I have since changed my handle and you prolly didn't know. BTW I haven't seen you around the site in awhile- where you been????

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-26-2007, 12:06 AM   #20
SpecialEd
Recipes 

I hear you. I drove 30 mins to the LHBS here in salt lake and got there at 6:29 when they close at 6:30. And low and behold they dont open the door and pretend to not see me. Ok I know understandable they need to close.... did I mention it was to buy a new vial of yeast to replace the one they sold me that bombed in the starter