Interesting PM... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Interesting PM...

Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
Apr 2008
South County, RI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Now, I don't know if I should have researched using the name more when I just casually named my basement brewing escapades...but I received this PM today. Struck me as BS at first...but then realized (or think) it must be legit. I understand (I guess) where he is coming from...however, I am FAR from a threat to opening a commercial operation though!

Removed PM as courtesy to the sender and forum rules...don't need to be out of line or piss anyone off, that wasn't my intent
Basically, I was contacted by the owner of a commercial brewery that has the same name as my 'make believe' basement brewery for which I have in my signature. In a fairly nice and non-aggressive manner he indicated that it is trademarked/copyrighted and they wanted me to be aware if I ever intended on taking my operation commercial (in a nutshell).

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I actually think it's pretty comical now...with 3 kids under 4, the mortgage and daycare which has eaten through savings...opening a brewery from my financial situation is about as much of a possibility as me becoming pregnant!
South County Brewing Co.
Primaries 1 & 2: Apfelwein
Primary 3: EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

it is pretty funny, but I think he took the right approach...protect himself while acknowledging that he's probably coming off as a bit over the top...
Primary: Sour Brown, RIP Stout
Kegged: Pumpkin Stout
Future Brews: a gluten-free beer for my mother-in-law, barleywine

Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
May 2009
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

I think it was a pretty cool way of letting you know "just in case" you were gonna take it up another notch, and kinda funny considering the current likelihood you will be starting up a brewery.
Primary: German Hef, Belgian IPA, Scottish 80, Belgian Dubbel
On Tap: Oatmeal Stout, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, Munich Dunkel, Dunkel Weizen, Oktoberfest, Bock, IPA, Black IPA, English IPA, Pale Ale

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Jun 2010
Edmonton Ky
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Haha They are just covering their a$$
Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Jun 2011
, Vermont
Liked 253 Times on 190 Posts

Do you think A$$hole brewing company, LLC has already been trademarked?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
Nov 2008
Shirley, MA, USA
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

If you were thinking of going commercial (which apparently you're not), he would actually be doing you a favor by letting you know in advance that the name is already taken. No harm, no foul, but I can see how it may seem ridiculous under the circumstances.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Old 07-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
Feb 2011
Northwest Indiana/Chicago
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

What's funny to me is that everyone says the brewing company didn't the right thing here by letting him know (I think so too) but when bells did this to northern brewer over their two hearted clone everyone was condemning them.

Back on topic, guess that means you picked a good name for your brewery haha, just mix it up a bit if you go pro
Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join-
One gallon brewing blog

Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Adjunct of the Law
Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

Remember that with trademarks, the holder has to show that they attempted to protect the trademark or else the second user can possibly gain the legal right to that trademark. I think that was more the goal of this communication.
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter

Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
Jan 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

The e-mail was a very nice gesture. Obviously, they didn't know whether or not you had any intentions of ever going pro. Creating a brewing company <Edit:>Name</> could definitely be considered a sign that someone has at least a slight intention of doing so.

The Two Hearted issue seems like a completely different issue to me.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
Jun 2011
South China, Maine
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

The proprietor of a local micro-winery told me that he received correspondence from a California-based winery's lawyer that he must change the name of his winery... Luckily he was able to get away with simply changing the spelling but it would have sucked if he had to change the name entirely. I think it's cool that he took. The time to inform you in a passive way.