National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fermenting mead at the higher part of temperature range for Lalvin 71b-1122?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
matts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fermenting mead at the higher part of temperature range for Lalvin 71b-1122?

I have all my ingredients together for my first batch of mead. The coolest room in my house is around 78F.

How does Lalvin 71b-1122 taste fermented in the higher part of its temperature range?

Should I wait until I have my fermentation chamber setup? Chest freezer is on the way for my beers but it won't hold two carboys until I build a collar.

I haven't done much with swamp coolers and I don't want to be changing ice packs. But perhaps a wet t-shirt and fan will bring it down below 75F?

How important is the temperature for aging mead in the secondary?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Temperature is more important during primary fermentation. During aging, especially for traditional meads, you can keep them stored at 75-78F and they'll do okay. Perhaps they won't survive as well as they would if stored at cellar temps, but they'll be good for several years at a minimum (perhaps a lot longer). With some melomels, that may not be the case.

As for 71B, some folks have found it to work OK in the upper 70s. I prefer K1V or D21 at that level, but I'm planning some more testing with 71B.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Medsen, I think I'll feel more relaxed about it if I wait until I get my chamber setup. My house is poorly insulated so it really fluctuates in temps. It also doesn't have a basement which is a bummer.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedsenFey View Post
Temperature is more important during primary fermentation. During aging, especially for traditional meads, you can keep them stored at 75-78F and they'll do okay. Perhaps they won't survive as well as they would if stored at cellar temps, but they'll be good for several years at a minimum (perhaps a lot longer). With some melomels, that may not be the case.

As for 71B, some folks have found it to work OK in the upper 70s. I prefer K1V or D21 at that level, but I'm planning some more testing with 71B.
+1 on Medsens comment. I seem to recall that K1V-1116 has a slightly wider temperature range than D21 but either should do the job.......

regards

fatbloke

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
KLAAYHAUS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts View Post
house is around 78F.

How does Lalvin 71b-1122 taste fermented in the higher part of its temperature range?

I haven't done much with swamp coolers and I don't want to be changing ice packs. But perhaps a wet t-shirt and fan will bring it down below 75F?
From the Lalvin website between 59-86 degrees : http://www.lalvinyeast.com/71B.asp

I am fermenting one now at 75 degrees and I have have one in the bottle same honey same yeast that is 11 months old (Orange Blossom) and it is fantastic! I usually wrap my beers and sometimes meads in a towell and re-wet them twice a day which will shave two degrees off.