Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > higher ABV Hefe

Old 03-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Alamo_Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default higher ABV Hefe

I might be totaly wrong and if so thats fine....

but it seems to me that a hefe with it's bannana and clove-iness to it would hide a larger ABV pretty well. Is this a good assumption or am I crazy? I'm not thinking anything TOO big but maybe 6-7%

I've got a hefe in primary right now and it smells amazing! and I won a $20 gift certificate to austin homebrew the other day and ordered the ingredents for another but it's got me thinking and I kinda want to do something a little different.

So would adding about a pound of wheat extract at the end of the boil...bringing it up to 6.8% (so says recipator) be too much or should I just be happy with it as it is? Which is fine bc I LOVE hefe's.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Flavorwise, I think it could be great, but usually when I want a hefe, it's too damned hot to get drunk off my duff and the lighter ABV suits me. Who knows though... you may be on to something... there are those days when you just know the temperature is going to be dropping fast... you are overheated, but wouldn't mind a little alcoholic temperature adjustment... it might be great for those occasions... like sitting out on the porch in the summer, watching a nasty storm blow in....

Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I really like hefes....they're really refreshing and I think the flavor would hide a bump in ABV pretty well.

Plus I'm totally unsure of my efficientcy (don't have a hydrometer) and this might make it a "normal" ABV for a hefe....

I did my recipator figurings with 50% efficientcy bc I've heard around 65% is about normal for such high %-ages of wheat plus I think my process is pretty crappy right now....

we'll see, it's either I bump it up or I add some fruit

Take it easy

Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Investigate Weizenbocks...there are some recipes floating around here that a search will turn up. It's basically an dark amber Hefeweizen in the 7-8% range.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been drinking HWs since Feb '75. I've been brewing them since 1994.

My latest experiments have even taken them down to 4%...for something light and refreshing.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:10 AM   #6
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I was at the Pyramid Brewery in Seattle and they had an Imperial Hefe on the brewers tap, and man was it good. I think that you are right about the yeast helping to hide some of the alcohol notes. I think that the one they had was around 10 or 11%. It was a bit malty but not overly. I say make big beer and be happy, you just need to find that balance point. I might try to up some of the hops also to help balance it out.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I've been drinking my Hefe for a few weeks now and I love it. I made a mistake when brewing and didn't adjust for temperature right when doing a gravity reading which made me think my efficiency was off. So I ended up adding about two pounds of DME which boosted it up to about 7.5%. My wife loves it and keeps pestering me to make some more.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
...I ended up adding about two pounds of DME which boosted it up to about 7.5%. My wife loves it and keeps pestering me to make some more.
Did you get lucky afterward? (Rhetorical...) However, if you did...go brew some more, son!

Old 03-25-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Good idea's guys!

I think uping the hops to about 20 maybe will help hide a bit of the alchohol...

I think I'm going to shoot for about 7-8% more than that and I think it would be too much.

Weizenbocks sound good baron but it's a lager correct? I don't have any lagering capabilities right now...

THANKS!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornet
Weizenbocks sound good baron but it's a lager correct? I don't have any lagering capabilities right now...
Nope...there is some information "out there" that indicates that they are, but they are definitely ales. Basically just a darker, stronger Hefeweizen. No lagering required.

On a sidenote: many commercial Hefeweizen breweries will bottle condition with a lager yeast for the neutral flavor, but most homebrewers don't do this.