Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > orange zest/peels post-fermentation

Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Turfmanbrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default orange zest/peels post-fermentation

I did a pale ale 5 gal batch with 1/2 oz coriander. Fermentation is just about finished and the coriander is a touch stronger than I was hoping. My 2 questions would be 1)will the coriander mellow with time, and 2)if I wanted to add a bit of orange in my secondary, would it work, how much do I need, and what should I use? I saw a lot of recipes with adding zest with 5 minutes in the boil. I was thinking I'd use the orange to balance the coriander a bit but I thought of it after I tasted my batch 2 weeks in. I'll be transferring to the secondary and dry hopping Saturday so I was hoping to get some orange in it if you think it'll work. thoughts?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
dbals
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

So I had a similar problem....... Dry spiced with orange peel for 5 days in the secondary as the beer was a coriander bomb (almost sickly). Ended up still with too much coriander; it did mellow 3 weeks in the bottle. Now at a month and a half in bottle it tastes great. I used zest of two oranges boiled in 1 cup of water, let cool and added it.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Lilahblossom
Recipes 

I use a whole oz cracked coriander. Then while beer is fermenting, take outer peel of two oranges and soak them in vodka or white rum to cover in a plastic covered bowl or sandwich container. Keep it in fridg and shake it daily. Add the liquor to the bottling bucket.
Put that beer out at a summer party and your guests will stay forever as long as there is more. lol

Old 07-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Turfmanbrad
Recipes 

Bummer, I'm already 2 weeks into fermentation. Would 2 more weeks be enough to get the orange extract?

It might be horrible, it could be great, but it'll definitely be beer!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
dbals
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

just do it

Old 07-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Turfmanbrad
Recipes 

I'm in it. Also, the coriander is supermarket McCormick coriander and not Indian. Is this alright? I heard rumors of hot dog flavors

It might be horrible, it could be great, but it'll definitely be beer!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Lilahblossom
Recipes 

I didn't know there was different kinds of coriander. But I buy it whole and then crack it with beer bottle. And I don't filter it out I put EVERYTHING into the fermentor. A wheat beer can generally be bottled at two weeks. Get your orange going and leave the beer alone for another week. Don't transfer it til you bottle. I feel like especially at this time of the year, the less I touch or handle the beer, the better.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
dbals
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I got mine at a European food store $2.99 of 12oz! I added my orange peel it was two-weeks after I started fermenting while transferring to the secondary. I never got any hot dog flavors, even when it tasted heavy on the coriander.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
phished880
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just use a product called "true orange" into a 5gal of a 10g goze I made. On the package it suggests to use one packet for 1 orange peel. I used 6 packs for the 5 gal and it gave a nice orange compliment to the coriander.

Check it out the also offer lemon and lime

Www.truelemon.com