Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Water proof digital thermometer
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,000
Liked 214 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default Water proof digital thermometer

I've done a lot of searching here but most of the threads are a year old or more.

Has anyone found a waterproof digital thermometer w/a long water proof probe?

I bought one on Amazon but where the probe and cable come together it's not waterproof and I blew the unit.

This one seems like it might be right w/the correct probe.

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...sp?sku=8646003

Has anyone tried it?

I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount to get one that works. Would be nice to have the probe in the strike water to maintain temp as I BIAB.


__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Dunkelweizen
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,000
Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

That looks like it would be a good pick. I have this one from Cole-Parmer:

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...sp?sku=9121045

I like that the resolution is 0.1 deg. Both of these units use replaceable type "K" thermocouple probes. There's a wide selection of probes available for them and most are relatively inexpensive. I recently bought a 3-pack of bare junction type "k" probes for something like $10 delivered on Ebay.


Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,063
Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

There's also the Fisher Scientific Digital Thermometers; SS Stem; Type: Lollipop, which I have... I'm still trying to figure out exactly how accurate it is, but it seems pretty close (upon additional testing)...

I ordered one not that long ago.. Due to where the company is, I had it within a day, or two, of when it shipped (via cheap shipping too)... Gets good reviews from buyers on Amazon too...
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,000
Liked 214 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
That looks like it would be a good pick. I have this one from Cole-Parmer:

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...sp?sku=9121045

I like that the resolution is 0.1 deg. Both of these units use replaceable type "K" thermocouple probes. There's a wide selection of probes available for them and most are relatively inexpensive. I recently bought a 3-pack of bare junction type "k" probes for something like $10 delivered on Ebay.
Tks, will look into it.
__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Dunkelweizen
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,000
Liked 214 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
There's also the Fisher Scientific Digital Thermometers; SS Stem; Type: Lollipop, which I have... I'm still trying to figure out exactly how accurate it is, but it seems pretty close (upon additional testing)...

I ordered one not that long ago.. Due to where the company is, I had it within a day, or two, of when it shipped (via cheap shipping too)... Gets good reviews from buyers on Amazon too...
Tks, I'm looking for one w/a long probe that I can hang in the brew pot during the mash and read from a distance.
__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Dunkelweizen
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
LarsonLE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 177
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
Tks, I'm looking for one w/a long probe that I can hang in the brew pot during the mash and read from a distance.
Hey did you buy this thermometer? I am looking for a good thermometer as well, and this one looks good. Any thoughts on it before I buy it?
LarsonLE is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,000
Liked 214 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
Hey did you buy this thermometer? I am looking for a good thermometer as well, and this one looks good. Any thoughts on it before I buy it?
Didn't buy anything yet.
__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Dunkelweizen
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
2ndstage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 45
Default

I've had great luck with sliding a piece of heat shrink tubing up over the joint between the probe and the metal cable. Liquid getting in here is usually what kills them. Just find a piece that is pretty close to the size and slide it up to about the curve and several inches up the cable and heat it up to seal. Been using this for a couple of years now with no change in the reliability of it. Still compares to within a degree or so of my lab alcohol thermos so thats close enough here.
2ndstage is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,982
Liked 153 Times on 115 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndstage View Post
I've had great luck with sliding a piece of heat shrink tubing up over the joint between the probe and the metal cable. Liquid getting in here is usually what kills them. Just find a piece that is pretty close to the size and slide it up to about the curve and several inches up the cable and heat it up to seal. Been using this for a couple of years now with no change in the reliability of it. Still compares to within a degree or so of my lab alcohol thermos so thats close enough here.
This is what I did to mine a couple years ago. It's worked perfectly up until now. It seems that the cable has broken internally where the heatshrink ends. Probably from flexing over time.
__________________
____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
bja is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,000
Liked 214 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Just got eMail back from Coleparmer. They said none of the probes have a waterproof connection to the cable. Bummers. Maybe they just need longer probes? I really want to hang the probe in the mash for the whole hour same for the mash out at 170 for ten.


__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Dunkelweizen
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
digital thermometer tnbrewer371 Equipment/Sanitation 7 02-09-2011 11:49 PM
Digital Thermometer Steven9026 Equipment/Sanitation 1 02-01-2011 05:00 AM
Digital Thermometer dmcmillen Equipment/Sanitation 5 01-20-2011 02:40 AM
Digital thermometer drycreek Equipment/Sanitation 9 01-19-2010 02:12 AM
Water Proof Thermometer Probes nick79brew Equipment/Sanitation 41 09-12-2006 04:15 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS