Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Cherry Puree for a Kriek?

Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
amrmedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cherry Puree for a Kriek?

Can I use canned cherry puree for a kriek?

Also, when is the best time to add fruit to a lambic beer? Mine has been fermenting for 2 weeks now. I am going to add the bacteria and other cultures today.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Cherry Puree as in Oregon Fruits is fine. I would not recommend using Cherry Pie Filling though.

Typically you want to make sure the Sacc. has eaten everything can and will, and give the bugs a chance to take hold. Let this sit for at least 6 mos before adding fruit. Then let it sit at least another 6 mos.

Regardless of when you will be adding fruit do not rack to secondary. This is all extra food for the brett and bugs.

Good luck, and great patience.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I agree with jvlpdillon, and do not use cherry pie filling. I made a kriek that way already (the way you propose) and it turned out great. Like jvlpdillon says, be ready to wait a LONG time; you will be rewarded at the end. After you bottle, I would let it sit for about another year.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
MrPat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I have read, the cherry pits have their own particular flavor. I brewed a cherry belgian strong ale a few months back using whole cherries and was very happy with the results, but it's hard to say for sure if the pits made any major contribution. I imagine cherry puree probably would have worked just as well.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
drosju
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made the Northern Brewer Dawson's Kriek kit with the following schedule:

6 weeks primary
racked onto two cans of oregon fruit puree in secondary for 3 or 4 months (I didnt think to let it stay in primary until after the fact)
bottled and let it sit for 3 months.

it ended up with a tart cherry flavor. SWMBO just had to have one, I plan on hiding the rest and letting it sit for another few months.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
BtotheG
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPat View Post
From what I have read, the cherry pits have their own particular flavor. I brewed a cherry belgian strong ale a few months back using whole cherries and was very happy with the results, but it's hard to say for sure if the pits made any major contribution. I imagine cherry puree probably would have worked just as well.
Whenever I drink a good kriek, I notice a unique woody flavor I always attribute to the stone - not sure if that's what it is though. I think I've read around on the internet about people using a spice sold at middle-eastern markets called Mahleb (I've seen it spelled multiple ways) in conjunction with the purees to replace the missing pits. I believe it's just ground up cherry pits. I have a kriek on my list of future brews and plan on hunting some of this down if I can't find any whole sour cherries.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used the Oregon pie cherries a few years ago and the beer turned out fairly good. This year I am using whole raw fruit.

During the canning process the cherries are cooked in the can to seirlize them. I believe this changes the flavor somewhat and is not as bright. Although it is super easy.

BW

Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1335 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 35

This worked pretty well for me http://www.brownwoodacres.com/amazin...FcWA5QodqhVGYQ

I'm not saying it would be as good as raw fruit, but still good.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
This worked pretty well for me http://www.brownwoodacres.com/amazin...FcWA5QodqhVGYQ

I'm not saying it would be as good as raw fruit, but still good.
If you don't mind me asking, what ratio did you use?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1335 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't recall on the Kriek but we used Raspberry recently for a Framboise and I added 6 quarts in 60 gallons and it was based on how I converted the concentrate numbers to fresh fruit.