First night fermentation popped the lid and overflowed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcashew

Reaction score
Hey friends,

I'm currently making a dark Dunkelweizen and after pitching the yeast at 75 degrees, I stored it overnight in the closet. When I woke up, the pressure popped the lid of my fermenter and my closet was at 80!

Needless to say I have to control the temp a little bit better.

Any advice on rescuing this batch?

Yes. First rinse and sanitize both the lid and the air lock. Put them back on and pretend it never happened. Repeat as necessary until ferment calms down. You can try cooling the fermenter a bit in a tub of water maybe with some ice, but it may be substantially over before you can get it under control.

Might as well let it finish out to see how it does.

A square style cooler with some ice and water to act as a buffer will keep your temps more even if you don't want or can't use a refrigerator or freezer.

80 degrees is REALLY high for a Dunkleweiss or any weiss for that matter. You're probably going to get some off flavors. I know that I had terrible fusel alcohol flavors when I made weiss beers in a non-temperature controlled closet. I made 2 and both rose to about 80 degrees. The past few I've fermented in my kegerator have turned out incredible. I'm pretty sure that the actual temperature of your beer is usually higher than the ambient temp of the room. So, you're beer was probably up around 85 degrees. You need a way to control your temps.

Back