Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good beer recipe to experiment with?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
LarryBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Good beer recipe to experiment with?

I am trying to experiment with brewing a few small batches using different fruits and peppers and was wondering if there was a decent recipe out there that I could use as a base that would work well. Any tips/hints/recipes out there?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you a new brewer? I'd stay away from experimenting with adjuncts until you have the basic process covered.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBeer View Post
I am trying to experiment with brewing a few small batches using different fruits and peppers and was wondering if there was a decent recipe out there that I could use as a base that would work well. Any tips/hints/recipes out there?
Stick with a simple one, like for a one gallon batch use 1lb Extra Light DME maybe .25-.50oz hops @ 60 mins and a Clean yeast like Nottingham. That is a very simple base to experiment with fruits, etc.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
LarryBeer
Recipes 

Yeah I'm relatively new but I have been brewing with a friend who has a little more experience, I was just curious if there was a basic recipe that would go well with fruits or peppers

Old 07-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I would also say to use a pretty basic recipe, such as a pale ale that isn't too hoppy, if you're just interested in seeing how the fruits/spices/peppers blend.

That being said, some spices go really well with citrusy hop flavors (I have made a christmas ale with cascade), peppers go really well in a stout (I do a chipotle stout), and spices often go well in a brown ale base in addition to darker base beers (vanilla porter anyone?)

I recently made a malt-forward APA that was minimally hoppy that I think is what you could be looking for. It is essentially a blend of Yoopers' and EdWort's APA recipes that you can find in the recipe section. I used Nottingham, as was also previously suggested. Either of these recipes could be scaled down and/or converted to extract. In terms of brewing, you might be best off just brewing the full recipe and then splitting it if you want to do smaller batches with different additions.
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider, Simple Cyser
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would highly recommend EdWort's Haus Pale Ale: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-...ale-ale-31793/ I'm in the process or experimenting with this beer one ingredient at at time.