Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian tripel question

Old 07-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
spazasm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian tripel question

my belgian tripel has been in primary for a little over a week now, I haven't decided if I want to put it in a secondary yet, any suggestions or advice on what I should do with it? How long can I leave it in the primary and still be ok?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Forget the secondary. You can leave it in primary for a long time...one month, maybe more.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
veritas524
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let that thing ride in the primary for four weeks and then bottle.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
BluWtrBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Depends on your primary

I hate to be the junior guy who disagrees with two senior members but I don't think you can answer that question without knowing what kind of primary you are using. Most important, does it have a fermentation lock and does the lid fit tight enough that the lock actually bubbles as the fermentation goes along? If not then racking to secondary might be a good idea.

Watching the lock contiune to bubble slowly along until , well, until it doesn't is a confidance builder for those of us having less than a hundred batches under out belts. On a more practical level if the lid is tight and the lock is working, then your beer has a strong layer of carbon dioxide on top blocking oxidation. With this layer in place, it is not necessary to reduce the surface area of the wort, which is part of what racking to secondary is about. Not sitting on top the spent yeast is the other part of what racking to secondary is about. This is not a problem, if you follow the wisdom on this site, as long as you don't let it sit too long after the yeast is done. How do you tell? In the absense of a lot of experiance with different brews, watching the fermentation lock is a lot less risky with respect to contamination than taking off the lid to do gravity checks.

If your primary is the sort of joke that came with my first beer kit, consider racking to secondary. JMHO

Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
tmurph6
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hope revvy doesn't see that post...

Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurph6 View Post
I hope revvy doesn't see that post...
Actually, I think BluWtrBrew's post is somewhat interesting. I've never heard the argument of "if your fermenter leaks a lot, you shouldn't keep it in there long". Usually it's stuff about dead yeast, beer clarity, etc. etc. that isn't necessarily true and has been debunked time and time again (by revy and others).

But a primary with a crappy seal? Haven't heard that discussed much. The bad seal thing could, theoretically, lead to oxidation. My guess is that it's probably (a) not a huge deal unless it's REALLY bad, and (b), if your kit came with a primary with a crappy seal, it probably came with a bunch of other crappy stuff too, and it's not going to matter if you move to secondary. And even then, plenty of breweries used open top-fermentation throughout history... Those are just guesses, I'd be interested to hear more.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Depending on your OG I would leave it in primary for one month or more
Next Batches: Wheat Porter, W00t Stout, Heady Topper, Citra Black IPA

Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
spazasm
Recipes 

I have never heard the argument about crappy seals either. That being said, my fermenter is a 6 gal Carboy with a blow off tube that is in a jar of sanitizer. The krausen pushed through the blowoff tube into a catch bucket so I know a bad seal is not an issue. I don't plan on testing gravity for another few weeks, is it possible that I will need to repitch before bottling??

Old 07-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
McGarnigle
Recipes 

I'm not sure if a crappy seal would hurt. The CO2 doesn't want to escape unless pressure is pushing it out, right? Unless you are screwing around with it, I would think be CO2 would just rest there.

That being said, I don't necessarily subscribe to 'longer is better' because I don't think the yeast is doing much after 2-3 weeks but falling out. So you shouldn't worry about leaving in primary for a month, but I usually go only three weeks.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazasm
I have never heard the argument about crappy seals either. That being said, my fermenter is a 6 gal Carboy with a blow off tube that is in a jar of sanitizer. The krausen pushed through the blowoff tube into a catch bucket so I know a bad seal is not an issue. I don't plan on testing gravity for another few weeks, is it possible that I will need to repitch before bottling??
Not after a month. I think re-pitching for priming becomes an issue after 2-3 months or something like that.