Alaska trip - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West Homebrew Forum > Alaska trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
jamesnsw
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
, Indiana
Posts: 843
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts



Well, the wife and I have a wedding to go to in Alaska, and, given the price of air travel, we figure we might as well continue to go broke and stay in Alaska for 10 days.

We'll be in Anchorage, and will likely be a lot of time on the Kenai Peninsula. We may head up to Denali as well.

What are beer places to skip, and must see beer places?

I found this helpful list- http://beerme.com/region.php?60.

Thanks!
__________________
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,228
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts


I really like Humpy's! That was fun, with good halibut tacos and good beer.

There's another brewpub in Anchorage that I liked, but I can remember the name of it at the moment. The food was $$$$$$$ though!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
usfmikeb
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Leesburg, Virginia
Posts: 3,149
Liked 238 Times on 201 Posts


We did an Alaskan cruise followed up with an RV trip through Kenai a few years back, and had a great time. Here are three breweries that we visited in the Anchorage/Kenai area:

Moose's Tooth, Anchorage - definitely go, great food, great beer
Kassik's Brewery, Kenai - so so, if you happen to be there and have time
Homer Brewing Company - if you make it that far down, definitely go

The two best breweries we hit on that trip were off the cruise ship: Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau and Haines Brewing Company. Most people have heard of ABC, especially their smoked porter, which I drank quite a bit of while at their brewery. Haines was the best one we went to, small shop, actually located in the set that was built for the move White Fang. Great guys there, great beers. Wife and I ended up spending virtually the entire day in Haines at the brewing company.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
usfmikeb
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Leesburg, Virginia
Posts: 3,149
Liked 238 Times on 201 Posts


BTW, I very rarely buy clothing from any brewery. Haines was good enough that I bought a ballcap, and still wear it every once in a while.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
JoeyChopps
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
warner robins, ga
Posts: 1,371
Liked 280 Times on 190 Posts


I lived in anchorage for 4 years and can tell u to avoid koots that place is a stupid night club with super violent bouncers they have killed a few people (no joke there have been like 2 or 3 people die there by the bouncers) the moose tooth and the bears tooth are awesome and humpys is cool and a place called Darwins theory is a cool dive bar with good beer while u are there u have to get a duck fart its a shot that is huge in AK where are u staying ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
jamesnsw
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
, Indiana
Posts: 843
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I really like Humpy's! That was fun, with good halibut tacos and good beer.

There's another brewpub in Anchorage that I liked, but I can remember the name of it at the moment. The food was $$$$$$$ though!
Thanks! Humpy's on the list.
__________________
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
jamesnsw
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
, Indiana
Posts: 843
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
We did an Alaskan cruise followed up with an RV trip through Kenai a few years back, and had a great time. Here are three breweries that we visited in the Anchorage/Kenai area:

Moose's Tooth, Anchorage - definitely go, great food, great beer
Kassik's Brewery, Kenai - so so, if you happen to be there and have time
Homer Brewing Company - if you make it that far down, definitely go

The two best breweries we hit on that trip were off the cruise ship: Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau and Haines Brewing Company. Most people have heard of ABC, especially their smoked porter, which I drank quite a bit of while at their brewery. Haines was the best one we went to, small shop, actually located in the set that was built for the move White Fang. Great guys there, great beers. Wife and I ended up spending virtually the entire day in Haines at the brewing company.
Looks like we will be going to Homer, so I'm hoping we can hit this up!
__________________
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
jamesnsw
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
, Indiana
Posts: 843
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
I lived in anchorage for 4 years and can tell u to avoid koots that place is a stupid night club with super violent bouncers they have killed a few people (no joke there have been like 2 or 3 people die there by the bouncers) the moose tooth and the bears tooth are awesome and humpys is cool and a place called Darwins theory is a cool dive bar with good beer while u are there u have to get a duck fart its a shot that is huge in AK where are u staying ?
Hah, the duck fart sounds tasty.

We'll be staying with friends & in hostels, most likely.
__________________
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
dmcoates
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 151
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts


How was the Trip, did you make it to the Kenai. There is some great brew down here!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,886
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts


If you end up on Kodiak Island, Kodiak Island Brewing Company is an awesome place with great beer. Mostly high gravity stuff if you're into that. It's a small little place on the waterfront, and they will gladly give you a tour of the back. I brought one of their glasses home with me from my trip to visit a friend who was stationed there with the Coast Guard.
__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portland, Or trip tkorigininal North West Homebrew Forum 8 03-10-2012 12:03 AM
Northern California trip suggestions? KoedBrew South West Homebrew Forum 9 04-18-2011 04:38 PM
Trip to Boston - Suggestions on pubs? keelanfish North East Homebrew Forum 46 05-28-2009 08:45 PM
Alaska attitude North West Homebrew Forum 3 02-22-2009 04:40 PM
Cruising to Victoria BC, then Juneau Alaska gonzo brewer International 4 05-30-2008 08:53 AM


Forum Jump