Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #601
worthogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
What yeast? I used wy3724 and it finishes very tart. Same with wl565 I believe.
Belle Saison and 3711 mixed. This is definitely not a yeast tartness. Probably something in my siphon line since I am anal about sanitation. Plus I already drank one keg out of the same batch and it was totally different- a classic, tasty saison.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #602
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthogg

Belle Saison and 3711 mixed. This is definitely not a yeast tartness. Probably something in my siphon line since I am anal about sanitation. Plus I already drank one keg out of the same batch and it was totally different- a classic, tasty saison.
Well if it tastes good and doesn't make you sick... ;-). I was surprised how tart the 3724 came out but it's good. But yeah, 3711 and belle shouldn't be tart.
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Helles,
Bottled:

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #603
eujamfh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am moving mine upstairs tonight to put it in mid 70's temps for the next two weeks. Curious - will I be able to harvest the yeast from this with it being in the fermentor for a month, half which is in the mid 70's?

Can't wait till the end of the month when this is on tap!

Old 08-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #604
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by eujamfh View Post
I am moving mine upstairs tonight to put it in mid 70's temps for the next two weeks. Curious - will I be able to harvest the yeast from this with it being in the fermentor for a month, half which is in the mid 70's?

Can't wait till the end of the month when this is on tap!
I have harvested mine with no issues from the higher temps. had a batch get into the upper 90s with a different saison yeast, that yeast was none the worse for wear.

I do typically build a big honkin starter, and split it into four vials then build a second starter from one vial and bank the other three. I do this for each generation of yeast after washing the cake....

Keeps me in earlier generations of a given strain longer before I scrap it due to the risk of mutations.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #605
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 923 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
Brewing this today using Valley Malt Organic Pilsner.

Also changing up the hop schedule (going a little hoppier) as follows, converted for 5gal:
.5oz Sorachi Ace @FWH
.5oz Motueka @30
.5 oz Motueka @15
.5 oz each Motueka/Sorachi Ace @5
.5 oz each Motueka/Nelson Sauvin @0
Bottled the 3711 side of this split last night. I also racked the Ommegang yeast version onto some rhubarb and blueberries, and some of the 3711 cake to try to dry it out some more.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Barleywine, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-3), Snow Melt Single, Bench Time Mild, Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB)
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Lion Cut Kriek

Old 08-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #606
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
Bottled the 3711 side of this split last night. I also racked the Ommegang yeast version onto some rhubarb and blueberries, and some of the 3711 cake to try to dry it out some more.
Dang, blueberry rhubarb saison.....

If only I were on your coast, I would pester you to swing by for a tasting of that one, just the thought makes me mouth water!

Alas Chicago is a wee bit out of the way to just "pop over"

Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #607
Pkrd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Brewed this up with NZ Manuka honey (couldn't find orange blossom) and FWH with Nelson Sauvin instead of Sorachi Ace.
Gotta say the early samples weren't too promising(dry dry dry and strong manuka taste) but cracked my first early bottle tonight and its pretty decent.

Fermenting: Pliny the Elder

On Tap: Orange American Wheat; Red Nelson Sauvin IPA

Bottled:
Little IPA; Black AZ American Stout; Honey Wheat; Blackberry Blonde; Chainbreaker White IPA; Yoopers Fizzy Yellow beer; JAOM; BaA Schwarzbier.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #608
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 923 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Dang, blueberry rhubarb saison.....

If only I were on your coast, I would pester you to swing by for a tasting of that one, just the thought makes me mouth water!

Alas Chicago is a wee bit out of the way to just "pop over"
Well, I'll wait and see if it's any good first, but I could always send you a 'sample'.

Definitely appreciate the great recipe and have brewed variations of it a few times now. Great base to play with.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Barleywine, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-3), Snow Melt Single, Bench Time Mild, Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB)
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Lion Cut Kriek

Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #609
fumanbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed this a couple of days ago using styrian goldings and belma cause I needed to use them up and that was what this recipe was created for initially anyway.
azscoob Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #610
fumanbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What have you guys done to raise the temp? I was thinking of putting in my garage or on my back porch.