Saison Cottage House Saison - Page 61 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Saison Cottage House Saison

Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #601
worthogg
Recipes 

Jul 2010
norcal
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
What yeast? I used wy3724 and it finishes very tart. Same with wl565 I believe.
Belle Saison and 3711 mixed. This is definitely not a yeast tartness. Probably something in my siphon line since I am anal about sanitation. Plus I already drank one keg out of the same batch and it was totally different- a classic, tasty saison.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #602
bd2xu

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Atlanta, GA
Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthogg

Belle Saison and 3711 mixed. This is definitely not a yeast tartness. Probably something in my siphon line since I am anal about sanitation. Plus I already drank one keg out of the same batch and it was totally different- a classic, tasty saison.
Well if it tastes good and doesn't make you sick... ;-). I was surprised how tart the 3724 came out but it's good. But yeah, 3711 and belle shouldn't be tart.
On tap: Czech Pils, Munich Dunkel, Petite Saison D'Ete
Bottled: Wee Heavy, RIS - Bourbon/Oak aged, RIS - Port Wine/Oak aged

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #603
eujamfh
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I am moving mine upstairs tonight to put it in mid 70's temps for the next two weeks. Curious - will I be able to harvest the yeast from this with it being in the fermentor for a month, half which is in the mid 70's?

Can't wait till the end of the month when this is on tap!

Old 08-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #604
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 278 Times on 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eujamfh View Post
I am moving mine upstairs tonight to put it in mid 70's temps for the next two weeks. Curious - will I be able to harvest the yeast from this with it being in the fermentor for a month, half which is in the mid 70's?

Can't wait till the end of the month when this is on tap!
I have harvested mine with no issues from the higher temps. had a batch get into the upper 90s with a different saison yeast, that yeast was none the worse for wear.

I do typically build a big honkin starter, and split it into four vials then build a second starter from one vial and bank the other three. I do this for each generation of yeast after washing the cake....

Keeps me in earlier generations of a given strain longer before I scrap it due to the risk of mutations.

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #605
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Jersey City, NJ
Liked 1589 Times on 1070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
Brewing this today using Valley Malt Organic Pilsner.

Also changing up the hop schedule (going a little hoppier) as follows, converted for 5gal:
.5oz Sorachi Ace @FWH
.5oz Motueka @30
.5 oz Motueka @15
.5 oz each Motueka/Sorachi Ace @5
.5 oz each Motueka/Nelson Sauvin @0
Bottled the 3711 side of this split last night. I also racked the Ommegang yeast version onto some rhubarb and blueberries, and some of the 3711 cake to try to dry it out some more.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-4), Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Wild Cider ('14), Unseasonably Pale v2
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Lion Cut Kriek, Bochet Mead, Wild Cranberry Cider ('15), Dirty Dozen Mead, Farmhouse Cyser

Old 08-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #606
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 278 Times on 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
Bottled the 3711 side of this split last night. I also racked the Ommegang yeast version onto some rhubarb and blueberries, and some of the 3711 cake to try to dry it out some more.
Dang, blueberry rhubarb saison.....

If only I were on your coast, I would pester you to swing by for a tasting of that one, just the thought makes me mouth water!

Alas Chicago is a wee bit out of the way to just "pop over"

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #607
Pkrd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Palmy, New Zealand
Liked 364 Times on 174 Posts

Brewed this up with NZ Manuka honey (couldn't find orange blossom) and FWH with Nelson Sauvin instead of Sorachi Ace.
Gotta say the early samples weren't too promising(dry dry dry and strong manuka taste) but cracked my first early bottle tonight and its pretty decent.

Fermenting: Bavarian Hefe
On Deck: Stone and Wood Pacific Ale™
On Tap: Stone Ruination, Black IPA

Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #608
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Jersey City, NJ
Liked 1589 Times on 1070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Dang, blueberry rhubarb saison.....

If only I were on your coast, I would pester you to swing by for a tasting of that one, just the thought makes me mouth water!

Alas Chicago is a wee bit out of the way to just "pop over"
Well, I'll wait and see if it's any good first, but I could always send you a 'sample'.

Definitely appreciate the great recipe and have brewed variations of it a few times now. Great base to play with.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-4), Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Wild Cider ('14), Unseasonably Pale v2
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Lion Cut Kriek, Bochet Mead, Wild Cranberry Cider ('15), Dirty Dozen Mead, Farmhouse Cyser

Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #609
fumanbrew
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed this a couple of days ago using styrian goldings and belma cause I needed to use them up and that was what this recipe was created for initially anyway.

azscoob Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #610
fumanbrew
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What have you guys done to raise the temp? I was thinking of putting in my garage or on my back porch.