Saison Cottage House Saison - Page 35 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Saison Cottage House Saison

Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #341
Matterpro

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Austin, TX
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just took one last gravity check before kegging after a 24 day primary and MAN is it clear! The fastest beer to clear I've done yet (not counting anything with s-04), not cloudy in the slightest. And it's been sitting in my 75 degree beer closet, no cold crash (I wanted a little haze, oh well).

Tastes awesome and that dang yeast even shaved another .002 off the FG from the last time I measured it 2 weeks ago. Now it's down to 1.003, super dry and smooth with that nice saison twang. A bit of an alcohol nose, coming in at 7.5%, but I'm sure getting some CO2 in there will lighten it up considerably. Can't wait to get this carbed and serving! This is gonna be dangerously easy to drink too much of.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #342
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 273 Times on 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterpro View Post
Just took one last gravity check before kegging after a 24 day primary and MAN is it clear! The fastest beer to clear I've done yet (not counting anything with s-04), not cloudy in the slightest. And it's been sitting in my 75 degree beer closet, no cold crash (I wanted a little haze, oh well).

Tastes awesome and that dang yeast even shaved another .002 off the FG from the last time I measured it 2 weeks ago. Now it's down to 1.003, super dry and smooth with that nice saison twang. A bit of an alcohol nose, coming in at 7.5%, but I'm sure getting some CO2 in there will lighten it up considerably. Can't wait to get this carbed and serving! This is gonna be dangerously easy to drink too much of.
You may be drinking this outa tumblers if you aren't carefu!

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #343
Eli55
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fontana, Ca
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just kegged mine also. It looked a bit dark but smelled right on saison. The alcohol was fairly noticeable, but it should be around 8.2 %. Can wait to try it as it gains some carbonation.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #344
Eli55
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fontana, Ca
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Anyone have thoughts or experience on adapting this recipe to a lower alcohol saison? Or possibly another recipe for a session saison?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #345
LoloMT7
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Missoula, Montana
Liked 1268 Times on 679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli55 View Post
Anyone have thoughts or experience on adapting this recipe to a lower alcohol saison? Or possibly another recipe for a session saison?
You could use more sparge water and make the batch bigger like 6 or 7 gallons

Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #346
Liquisky
Recipes 

May 2008
El Paso, TX, Texas
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just read all 35 pages. Any thoughts on water additions. Use soft water, ro, DI? Azscoob, what is your water like? rI've gotten good results using the water primer in the Brew Science section. Any thoughs on adding 2% acid malt to the grain bill and 1/2 tsp CaCL to RO water to mash and sparge with? My water is horribile in El Paso and the water primer has made a world of difference in my brews?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #347
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 273 Times on 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquisky
Just read all 35 pages. Any thoughts on water additions. Use soft water, ro, DI? Azscoob, what is your water like? rI've gotten good results using the water primer in the Brew Science section. Any thoughs on adding 2% acid malt to the grain bill and 1/2 tsp CaCL to RO water to mash and sparge with? My water is horribile in El Paso and the water primer has made a world of difference in my brews?
My water out here is quite hard, in fact there are so many minerals out here in our water that when ice cubes melt in a glass you end up with white sediment at the bottom of the glass. For this recipe I use 50% tap water that I let sit overnight after adding half a crushed campden tablet to remove chlorine and chloramine. The other 50% is just RO water. It has worked perfectly for this beer and my English ales as well.

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #348
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Sep 2012
chicago, Illinois
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So my roommate is a big fan of saisons, and I've been eyeing this recipe for months now... but I live in Chicago, it's cold as hell outside, and my ambient room temperature is at 63-64. I was thinking of maybe trying to insulate it with a thick blanket and place it ontop of the floor heating vent, but I'm guessing the most I'll be able to get out of it is 70. do you think it's worth making in that case, or should I wait for a warmer month?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #349
JonGrafto

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Central Part of the State..., WI
Liked 157 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdopchibrew
So my roommate is a big fan of saisons, and I've been eyeing this recipe for months now... but I live in Chicago, it's cold as hell outside, and my ambient room temperature is at 63-64. I was thinking of maybe trying to insulate it with a thick blanket and place it ontop of the floor heating vent, but I'm guessing the most I'll be able to get out of it is 70. do you think it's worth making in that case, or should I wait for a warmer month?
I'm upon Wisconsin and brewed this recently. I just used the 3711 yeast which doesn't need as high of temp to ferment. Wyeast calls out 65-77 for temp.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #350
BrewLou
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Holly Springs, NC
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

^^^

3711 is going to chew through the sugar like mad.

My house varies in temp due to crappy insulation anywhere from 68-72F. 3711 is perfectly at home in these temp ranges as state above as well!
Bottled/Kegged: Coffee Porter & Pumpkin Porter