Saison Cottage House Saison - Page 25 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Saison Cottage House Saison

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #241
knownfactor
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 4


Quote:
Originally Posted by hbr2547 View Post
Going to brew tomorrow. This looks to be an amazing brew. No sorachi - I have either citra or nelson sauvin - any thoughts?
I used Citra with this recipe, A LOT of it lol. it came out to 70 IBU and under 5% (my grain milling was horrible) but the hops/yeast strain complement each other and they both shine. Go Citra all the way!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #242
hbr2547
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 183
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by knownfactor

I used Citra with this recipe, A LOT of it lol. it came out to 70 IBU and under 5% (my grain milling was horrible) but the hops/yeast strain complement each other and they both shine. Go Citra all the way!
Tried .25 citra and .25 nelson - fermenting now!

azscoob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #243
bigherrm
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Take a gravity reading and see where it's at, I have often had this beer ferment out really fast, but bubble seemingly forever because of absorbed co2 from the fermentation process, the only sure way to know its done is to check the gravity with your hydrometer over a few days, when it's dead stable, it's done
Gravity stabilized at 1.003 and I bottled it this weekend. The rosemary and pepper definitely came through. Glad I did not boil the rosemary very long. Certainly a unique Saison. Can't wait to pop one open in a few weeks.

azscoob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #244
NuclearRich
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Hamden, CT
Posts: 1,113
Liked 118 Times on 100 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hbr2547 View Post
Going to brew tomorrow. This looks to be an amazing brew. No sorachi - I have either citra or nelson sauvin - any thoughts?
I brewed it as a split batch with one of each at the prescribed amounts. I like the nelson more than the citra, but they are both quite good.
__________________
Kegged - English Mild
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, Lemongrass Diastasis, 2014 "lambic", eisbock, IIPA, oaked lite, Conan cider
Primary - nadda
Aging - 2015 "lambic", barleywine, wild cider, applejack

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #245
BrewLou
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 126
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Got it in the keg Monday. Rushed through the process and forgot to sanitize bottles. I had about 3/4 of the keg full and was like huh... im forgetting something. Dang it I just wont have any in bottles lol. Going to dial the pressure down tonight and let it sit at 10 psi for a while aka until I float one of my current kegs. Cant wait to pour one of these. Checked the gravity again at kegging (and tasted the sample) and it is still at 1.003 and the really "potent" hops taste that was there previously has smoothed out greatly.
__________________
Primary 1 & 2: Hazelnut Brown Ale
2ndary 1: Empty
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Coffee Porter & Pumpkin Porter

azscoob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #246
hbr2547
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 183
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewLou
Got it in the keg Monday. Rushed through the process and forgot to sanitize bottles. I had about 3/4 of the keg full and was like huh... im forgetting something. Dang it I just wont have any in bottles lol. Going to dial the pressure down tonight and let it sit at 10 psi for a while aka until I float one of my current kegs. Cant wait to pour one of these. Checked the gravity again at kegging (and tasted the sample) and it is still at 1.003 and the really "potent" hops taste that was there previously has smoothed out greatly.
Brewed on Sunday - just took a reading on gravity and down to 1.014 and counting ... Still another point or so to drop hopefully

azscoob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #247
NuclearRich
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Hamden, CT
Posts: 1,113
Liked 118 Times on 100 Posts


Did you use the honey? What were your mash temps? ferm temps?
This thing really tends to dry out something fierce, Ive seen many of the other users drop down in the single digit range. Me personally, I'v had it ferment out to 0.999 and 1.003 I believe
__________________
Kegged - English Mild
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, Lemongrass Diastasis, 2014 "lambic", eisbock, IIPA, oaked lite, Conan cider
Primary - nadda
Aging - 2015 "lambic", barleywine, wild cider, applejack

azscoob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #248
Garrett
 
Garrett's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fullerton, CA
Posts: 258
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Just brewed this last night on EBIAB rig! Substituted the sorachi ace for Willamette and the fuggles for styrian goldings. Add some lemon zest and some sweet orange peel. Cant wait to try it!
__________________
Ambitious Ales

azscoob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #249
hbr2547
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 183
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
Did you use the honey? What were your mash temps? ferm temps?
This thing really tends to dry out something fierce, Ive seen many of the other users drop down in the single digit range. Me personally, I'v had it ferment out to 0.999 and 1.003 I believe
I used a pound of honey and mashed around 152 - fermentation around 74

azscoob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #250
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,452
Liked 273 Times on 209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hbr2547 View Post
I used a pound of honey and mashed around 152 - fermentation around 74
you use the yeast I have in the recipe?

If yes, expect it to ferment to 1.002 or 1.003, the yeast is a beast!

carbonate to 3.0 volumes or so to balance the dryness.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing


I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my harvest from the hop at our cottage Kharnynb Hops Growing 1 09-08-2015 05:43 PM
Fermenting a Saison in a hot house scottholtog Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 08-01-2015 04:01 AM
Looking for suggestions for Belgian Farm House Saison spices Contradiction Recipes/Ingredients 5 11-27-2013 04:48 AM
First Saison and I have a new house Beer sudndeth General Beer Discussion 5 05-02-2011 05:22 AM


Forum Jump