Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter
Always
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 Gallon
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 Min
IBU
36.3 IBU
Color
7.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days at 68 Degrees
Additional Fermentation
14 days at room temp
Tasting Notes
Citrus and fruit phenols up front balance nicely with earthy hops, great mouthfeel
Cottage House Saison

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines:
-------------------------------

16-C Belgian & French Ale, Saison

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 12 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics:

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.062
Anticipated SRM: 7.5
Anticipated IBU: 36.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugars:

8.50 lbs. Pilsner Malt(2-row)
1.50 lbs. White Wheat
0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats
1.00 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey (added with 5 minutes left in the boil)

Hops/Spices:

0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace, 10.50%aa @FWH.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @FWH.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @30 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @15 min.

1.5 tsp Black pepper, Fresh ground @5 min.

Yeast:

WYeast 3711 PC French Saison

Mash Schedule:
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 11.00
Water Qts: 14.30
Water Gal: 3.58

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30:1

Saccharification Rest Temp:148 degrees, 60 minutes (3.58 gal.)
Mash-out Rest Temp: 212 degrees, 10 minutes (1.25 gal.)
Sparge Temp: 170 degrees, 10 minutes (3.50 gal est.)

Mash at 148 degrees for 60 minutes, then add your mash-out water and give it another 10 minutes, vorlauf and collect in boil kettle, you already have your FWH additions in the kettle right?

After draining (and tipping, I am a mash tun tipper) add your sparge water and give it a good stir and let it rest for 10 minutes, vorlauf and drain to the kettle. I personally split my sparge water into two separate sparges, it gives me better efficiency so I do it on every batch, however a single sparge should work fine.

The boil is pretty straight forward, with nothing out of the ordinary, just add the pound of honey and black pepper at 5 minutes left in the boil.

Chill to 65 degrees, aerate well on the way to the fermenter and pitch the yeast starter, ferment at 68 degrees for 2 weeks, move the fermenter at that point to ambient room temp for another 2 weeks, for me that was 78 degrees in the brew closet.

Rack to keg or bottle and carbonate to 2.75 to 3.25 volumes.

The color is beautiful, slightly hazy from the wheat, Rocky head that just doesn't quit, in short it looks like a Saison! I really like the haze for this style as it seems more rustic to me which is why there is no finings in the boil.

Saison_003.jpg

This recipe was specifically made to do two things:

1) A simple recipe without much spices or zests to let the yeast driven flavors be the star.

2) To clear out my brew closet of some misc hops, and the last bits in some specialty grain buckets.

It was a fantastic success on both fronts.

7th generation brewer Jef Versele of Brouwerij Van Steenberge in Ertvelde, Belgium happened to stop in our monthly club meeting on his way to a beer pairing dinner to talk a bit about brewing techniques and the similarities between homebrewing and commercial brewing.

He asked for a sample of some good homebrew. (I am thinking great, I have my Saison here, and here is a guy who REALLLY knows his way around a Belgian beer, I'm doomed... but I could use the criticism)

I offered him a sample of my Cottage House Saison, after spending a few minutes sniffing, swirling and tasting he stated that I had produced a fantastic Saison, not doctored up with too many spices, but that the yeast shines through, exquisite mouthfeel, an example of what a Saison should be. He sampled several other beers giving some praise, and others pointers on how to improve the off flavors he was picking up.

On his way out he said he had to have another sample of mine and told me that were it his recipe that it would be in the brewery's lineup most definitely.

That is what I call a heck of a compliment.

My head almost didn't fit through the door that night. :D

i got the same thing from WL565, but not much at all in terms of saison-esque flavor.

This recipe looks really good. It's pretty similar on the grain bill to what I've been doing lately, though I like the EKG over the Fuggles.

On his way out he said he had to have another sample of mine and told me that were it his recipe that it would be in the brewery's lineup most definitely.

That is what I call a heck of a compliment.

That's awesome.

This recipe looks really good. It's pretty similar on the grain bill to what I've been doing lately, though I like the EKG over the Fuggles.

I like EKG over Fuggles as well, maybe thats why I ended up with them sitting around?

It does produce a fantastic beer though, I think the Saison funk sorta covers up the hops subtleties though.

I like EKG over Fuggles as well, maybe thats why I ended up with them sitting around?

It does produce a fantastic beer though, I think the Saison funk sorta covers up the hops subtleties though.

Heh. I have most of a pound of Fuggles, whereas it's time to order another pound of EKG.

BTW, speaking of funky saisons, you inspired me to go ahead and post the saison recipe that I've been intending to post for a while now: Saison Brett

Awesome, was looking for something to use the yeast from my Rye saison I just brewed.

The honey bumps the ABV as well as to dry the beer a bit so it has a nice crisp finish, and the pepper adds a subtle bite to the beer that I find pairs well with the yeast driven flavors.

I would try it as is first and adjust on your second batch.

Since the honey ferments almost completely out and the pepper is more in the background you may find that you like it as is.

Thanks for the info. To carb this correctly how much sugar would you add for a 5g batch? I am definitely going to bottle this. I think these work best carbed on the low end. Agreed?

randallr said:
Thanks for the info. To carb this correctly how much sugar would you add for a 5g batch? I am definitely going to bottle this. I think these work best carbed on the low end. Agreed?

IIRC, Saisons can be carbed up to 3 volumes and be "within style."

I keg, and have this saison set at 3 volumes. that would be 6.11 oz of corn sugar according to brewheads assuming a 68 degree fermentation temp to get you to 3.0 volumes if bottling.

I prefer pretty highly carbed saisons, myself. Adds to the sensation of dryness, while boosting the mid-palate body a bit.

I would like to add this to my brew plan for today, but I didn't make a starter. With this yeast, I think it will be fine... Any suggestions?

Beautiful beer with a nice white head. I was going to brew an IPA today as a last minute idea, but I think you just convinced me to go Belgian today.

Nice job.

3711 is a monster, so I might move forward without a starter. Worst case should be some funkiness, which I like in a Saison anyway.

We polished off the last 4 champagne bottles of this over thanksgiving dinner with family and friends, it went really well with the citrus herb turkey.

Looks like it's time to brew up some more!!

I brewed this a few weeks back and I did make a starter...it practically blew the lid off the bucket. And it's still bubblin' :mug:

This looks very tasty.

I am going to brew this on Christmas day. Our fesivities are all today so I will have a relaxing brew day on Christmas.

My LHBS was out of Fuggles so I subbed Strisselspalt. I love a good Saison and it has been a while since I brewed one and my supply is getting low.
:mug:

Hi I have been looking at brewing a saison for a while and just ordered the yeast so I will be brewing a version of this recipe friday the 20th. So I have a week to get some feed back on some ideas. I was debating between rye ipa and a saison but after looking at this i was thinking about combing both. I was thinking what about substituting the wheat for the Rye malt, this should make it darker (but i think not too much?) and maybe lend to a little more dry spice and hopefully complement the yeast? Also I love white pepper so I was also thinking about changing out the black pepper for white pepper. Also after primary I was going to pull off a gallon and add some brett for a few months for a dryer, more tart, and a funky nose. No yeast starter hoping to get more esters out of the yeast and also starting at 68 for a day and let it naturally ramp up not not over 75-80. Any suggestions? Does this sound bad or reasonable?

I'm assuming you are using unmalted wheat, correct? Does that with the oats add a lot of body?

I have done it both ways with malted and unmalted wheat without a lot of difference but yes the oats and wheat do give is some nice mouthfeel.

ddrayne10 said:
Hi I have been looking at brewing a saison for a while and just ordered the yeast so I will be brewing a version of this recipe friday the 20th. So I have a week to get some feed back on some ideas. I was debating between rye ipa and a saison but after looking at this i was thinking about combing both. I was thinking what about substituting the wheat for the Rye malt, this should make it darker (but i think not too much?) and maybe lend to a little more dry spice and hopefully complement the yeast? Also I love white pepper so I was also thinking about changing out the black pepper for white pepper. Also after primary I was going to pull off a gallon and add some brett for a few months for a dryer, more tart, and a funky nose. No yeast starter hoping to get more esters out of the yeast and also starting at 68 for a day and let it naturally ramp up not not over 75-80. Any suggestions? Does this sound bad or reasonable?

It will turn out to be a completely different saison than mine but I like what you are planning to do. It should be a pretty damned good beer!

Have a question about this recipe...

I see in one of your posts that you would've used EK Goldings if you had them. I have a bunch currently in my freezer and no Fuggles. Would you think I'd get similar results just using my leftover EK Goldings instead of the Fuggles?

Also, anything else you could recommend instead of the Surachi Ace? I don't have any of this and not sure it'd be worth buying if I could sub in any of the following: Willamette, Cascade, Chinook, Mt Hood, Simcoe.

If you don't think I should be switching these out, then I'll certainly buy some Fuggles and Surachi Ace, but being relatively new to brewing, I wanted to consult with someone more experienced than myself.

What are your thoughts on this? Most appreciated!

JeffoC6 said:
Have a question about this recipe...

I see in one of your posts that you would've used EK Goldings if you had them. I have a bunch currently in my freezer and no Fuggles. Would you think I'd get similar results just using my leftover EK Goldings instead of the Fuggles?

Also, anything else you could recommend instead of the Surachi Ace? I don't have any of this and not sure it'd be worth buying if I could sub in any of the following: Willamette, Cascade, Chinook, Mt Hood, Simcoe.

If you don't think I should be switching these out, then I'll certainly buy some Fuggles and Surachi Ace, but being relatively new to brewing, I wanted to consult with someone more experienced than myself.

What are your thoughts on this? Most appreciated!

I think you will be just fine with that EKG substitute, as for not having sorachi ace, I used it to give me some lemon note to go along with the black pepper hint.

You could substitute willamette, and maybe try zesting a bit if lemon into it, or a bit of bitter orange peel, have some fun with it! That's what makes this hobby so awesome, a tweak here, there. When I brew a saison, I use a bit of this, a touch of that, it is a farmhouse ale after all, think like a farmer and use what you have on hand!

I think you will be just fine with that EKG substitute, as for not having sorachi ace, I used it to give me some lemon note to go along with the black pepper hint.

You could substitute willamette, and maybe try zesting a bit if lemon into it, or a bit of bitter orange peel, have some fun with it! That's what makes this hobby so awesome, a tweak here, there. When I brew a saison, I use a bit of this, a touch of that, it is a farmhouse ale after all, think like a farmer and use what you have on hand!

OK, so since I'm a 1-Gallon AG brewer (I know, I know, I should brew larger batches :D), here's what I've come up with based on your original recipe and suggestions for replacements:

Grain/Sugars:

1.55 lbs. Pilsner Malt (2-row)
0.27 lbs. White Wheat
0.09 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
0.09 lbs. Flaked Oats

Hops/Spices:

0.09 oz. Willamette @FWH.
0.09 oz. EK Goldings @FWH
0.09 oz. EK Goldings @30 min
0.18 oz. EK Goldings @15 min

0.18 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey @ 5 min.
0.27 tsp Black pepper, Fresh ground @5 min.

Yeast:

Wyeast 3711

I have 2 questions left on this:
-You advised I could sub Willamette for the Surachi Ace and maybe add some lemon zest, which I think is a great idea. I've never done anything like this in making my brews, so how much would you recommend adding, and at what point in the boil? You can give me the measurement you'd use for lemon zest based on your batch size, I'll just scale it down to my teeny old 1-Gallon batch :)

-What do you mean by FWH (see above) during the hop additions? I'm assuming this means to add them at the 60 min. mark of the boil?

Thank you so much for your guidance on this!

I would zest a whole lemon and add it to the boil on my first attempt (5 gal)

FWH stands for First Wort Hopped, you add the hops to the kettle as you are collecting the wort, it gives a smoothe bitterness with some flavoring aspects, I really love the way the beer turns out like that. as long as you are adding the FWH hops before the boil you should be good.

I would zest a whole lemon and add it to the boil on my first attempt (5 gal)

FWH stands for First Wort Hopped, you add the hops to the kettle as you are collecting the wort, it gives a smoothe bitterness with some flavoring aspects, I really love the way the beer turns out like that. as long as you are adding the FWH hops before the boil you should be good.

Makes sense...So because I'm basically scaling everything down by 5.5 (to achieve a 1-Gallon batch), I'll use 1/5 of a whole lemon's zest and add the Willamette and EK Goldings to the wort before the boil, and then the remaining EK Goldings during the boil at 30 and 15 min.

Thanks so much! I think I'll be brewing this the weekend of the 24th.

JeffoC6 said:
Makes sense...So because I'm basically scaling everything down by 5.5 (to achieve a 1-Gallon batch), I'll use 1/5 of a whole lemon's zest and add the Willamette and EK Goldings to the wort before the boil, and then the remaining EK Goldings during the boil at 30 and 15 min.

Thanks so much! I think I'll be brewing this the weekend of the 24th.

I would add the zest in the last couple minutes of the boil with the pepper, or at flame out.

Back