Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Calling All Metal Fans

Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #921
cheezydemon3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1654 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackntan View Post
I'm sorry, but I gota stir the sh!t pot and make it stink for a minute....

You say "Tool isn't Metal...This is fact". Where is your fact? Or is this your opinion? While I think every man is entitled to their own opinion, please show your facts

Here are my facts.:

Genres: Alternative metal, art rock, progressive metal, progressive rock

Grammy awards and nominations
Year Nominated work Award Result
1998 "Ænema" Best Metal Performance Won
1998 Ænima Best Recording Package Nominated
1998 "Stinkfist" Best Music Video, Short Form Nominated
2002 "Schism" Best Metal Performance Won
2007 10,000 Days Best Recording Package Won
2007 "Vicarious" Best Hard Rock Performance Nominated
2008 "The Pot" Best Hard Rock Performance Nominated

So, the awards they won were in the "Metal" catagory, and the Nominated but not won was in the "Hard Rock" catagory.

Sorry man, while I respect your opinion, it is my opinion that TOOL is Metal !

Don't get upset...I'm just poking the sleeping bear and having some fun. In the words of Tesla "Call it what you want", it's all good music regardless of the category.
Honestly, I trust a true disciple like headbanger to pigeon hole bands over "the grammies". I bet that if asked, TOOL resented being put into those categories, BUT, you make a good point. I myself wondered "where is the line drawn between metal and rock?". It must be either a fine line or a big grey one.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #922
headbanger
Recipes 

Liked 741 Times on 460 Posts
Likes Given: 1507

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I gota stir the sh!t pot and make it stink for a minute....

You say "Tool isn't Metal...This is fact". Where is your fact? Or is this your opinion? While I think every man is entitled to their own opinion, please show your facts

Here are my facts.:

Genres: Alternative metal, art rock, progressive metal, progressive rock

Grammy awards and nominations
Year Nominated work Award Result
1998 "Ænema" Best Metal Performance Won
1998 Ænima Best Recording Package Nominated
1998 "Stinkfist" Best Music Video, Short Form Nominated
2002 "Schism" Best Metal Performance Won
2007 10,000 Days Best Recording Package Won
2007 "Vicarious" Best Hard Rock Performance Nominated
2008 "The Pot" Best Hard Rock Performance Nominated

So, the awards they won were in the "Metal" catagory, and the Nominated but not won was in the "Hard Rock" catagory.

Sorry man, while I respect your opinion, it is my opinion that TOOL is Metal !

Don't get upset...I'm just poking the sleeping bear and having some fun. In the words of Tesla "Call it what you want", it's all good music regardless of the category.
No worries man, no offense taken. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, just as I am and I have heard Tool referred to as "progressive alternative metal" and the like an also lumped into "nu-metal" genres with bands like Korn, which is fine, though mistaken IMO.

To me, however, it's a simple matter of guitar riffs and arrangement of the music. Listen to the riffs and time changes instead of keying on distortion and palm muting. I can hear it right away, the rock based riffs that Tool uses, almost exclusively, and the standard rock time signatures, although progressive at times (think Rush), don't have any basis in traditional or progressive metal whatsoever.

This is why I don't consider Tool a metal band and I never will unless they actually start playing metal instead of rock.

With that said, I'd also like to point out that I don't consider bands like Korn and Slipknot metal bands either, along with the majority of that "nu-metal" garbage that the music media tries to push on kids nowadays.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #923
blackntan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
To me, however, it's a simple matter of guitar riffs and arrangement of the music. Listen to the riffs and time changes instead of keying on distortion and palm muting. I can hear it right away, the rock based riffs that Tool uses, almost exclusively, and the standard rock time signatures, although progressive at times (think Rush), don't have any basis in traditional or progressive metal whatsoever.

This is why I don't consider Tool a metal band and I never will unless they actually start playing metal instead of rock.

With that said, I'd also like to point out that I don't consider bands like Korn and Slipknot metal bands either, along with the majority of that "nu-metal" garbage that the music media tries to push on kids nowadays.

But that's just my opinion.

I see your point, they are deffinitely a world apart from Sabbath, Preist or Iron Maiden, but with the way things progress in the world, is anyone like that anymore? Megadeth's 13 album is awsome, but is it the same as Peace Sells? Some songs, yes but not all, or even Anthrax's Worship music, which is a good metal album, but do all the songs hold a candle to Among The Living?

I'm 43 and while I have a fondness for the old school metal, I like the Nu Metal "Tool, God Smack, Korn, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch" they are today like our Metal was to us in the 80's. There is no place in my heart for any of that throat grunting type music they call metal, it's just not for me.

Who today would you consider true Metal, and I mean as it was when it was created? Ratt came out with a new one acouple of years ago called Infested, not great, but it did sound 80ish. Maybe that's why it wasn't that good.

I think Metal has evolved, and into a new generation which can still be labled as metal, unfortunately we have to evolve with it.

It's all good music however it's labeled

Dark Asylum Brewery

Old 03-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #924
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Quote:
I see your point, they are deffinitely a world apart from Sabbath, Preist or Iron Maiden, but with the way things progress in the world, is anyone like that anymore? Megadeth's 13 album is awsome, but is it the same as Peace Sells? Some songs, yes but not all, or even Anthrax's Worship music, which is a good metal album, but do all the songs hold a candle to Among The Living?

I'm 43 and while I have a fondness for the old school metal, I like the Nu Metal "Tool, God Smack, Korn, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch" they are today like our Metal was to us in the 80's. There is no place in my heart for any of that throat grunting type music they call metal, it's just not for me.

Who today would you consider true Metal, and I mean as it was when it was created? Ratt came out with a new one acouple of years ago called Infested, not great, but it did sound 80ish. Maybe that's why it wasn't that good.

I think Metal has evolved, and into a new generation which can still be labled as metal, unfortunately we have to evolve with it.

It's all good music however it's labeled
Well put.

Tool sounds NOTHING like Elvis, so how is it rock?

It is, because everything has to evolve. If "Metal" or anything else just fits into this little square box, then eventually you are talking to yourself and spinning your wheels while everyone else has moved on.

I guarantee that we could find a few Elvis die hards that claim that "Rock" is what Elvis played, not this new fangled BS.

There has to be a middle ground. With nothing new, anything would stagnate.

Recycling the old riffs, and somewhat changing chords and rythms is not creating something NEW.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #925
headbanger
Recipes 

Quote:
Who today would you consider true Metal, and I mean as it was when it was created?
Just a few...

Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #926
headbanger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Well put.

Tool sounds NOTHING like Elvis, so how is it rock?

It is, because everything has to evolve. If "Metal" or anything else just fits into this little square box, then eventually you are talking to yourself and spinning your wheels while everyone else has moved on.

I guarantee that we could find a few Elvis die hards that claim that "Rock" is what Elvis played, not this new fangled BS.

There has to be a middle ground. With nothing new, anything would stagnate.

Recycling the old riffs, and somewhat changing chords and rythms is not creating something NEW.
Yeah, well that's just your opinion man...

Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #927
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Yeah, well that's just your opinion man...

Lol,

Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #928
blackntan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh Man, I don't even know where to begin...

First off, it all had a good metal sound, I'm not much into what I call "Nordic Metal".

That one guy on the right of the Enforce album, he looks like Kevin Debrow. Some of that stuff reminded me a bit of Judas Preist, Iron Maiden, Queensryche and Dragonforce.

It was all solid sounding metal.

Try these !! This is Good Metal

http://

Dark Asylum Brewery

Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #929
orion7144
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I just cant get into the screaming singers. I will be listening to something that sounds outstanding (like dethlock the other night) then the singer starts and I turn it off.I never got "into" all of pantera but if you could listen to the music without the vocals it was incredible. Being a guitar player I can appreciate good music.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #930
headbanger
Recipes 

Quote:
Oh Man, I don't even know where to begin...

First off, it all had a good metal sound, I'm not much into what I call "Nordic Metal".

That one guy on the right of the Enforce album, he looks like Kevin Debrow. Some of that stuff reminded me a bit of Judas Preist, Iron Maiden, Queensryche and Dragonforce.

It was all solid sounding metal.

Try these !! This is Good Metal
Good pick with the Grim Reaper, if you look back a few posts I put up a pretty good Aces High cover they did back in the day. Here's a few more for you...