So, lone star staters... Why is Grolsch an Ale in TX?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was going to be bottling this weekend, but in my last move I lost a few bottles, so I picked up a few 4 packs of Grolsch with the swing-top lids. I figured that I would watch a game while prepping my new bottles to be filled with my beer. This of course, required me to empty the existing contents into my favorite pint glass… While repeating this process (somewhere around the 6th inning) I saw this:

So, why is Grolsch an "ALE in TX"? Just curious...

grol.jpg

I noticed alot off beers say that in tx. I found it weird. Maybe an abv thing.... I know alot of tx is dry and/or has strict liquor laws. (my parents used to own YaYa's in Tyler) my guess it's a way for TABC to regulate and tax.

texas law defines "beer" as a certain range of ABV, and ale as a slightly higher range of ABV. I think "malt beverage" is another classification. it's retarded.

yeah it has nothing to do with ale or lager. after 4% abv its all considered ale and below is just malt beverage or something like that. dont know where they came up with that

yeah it has nothing to do with ale or lager. after 4% abv its all considered ale and below is just malt beverage or something like that. dont know where they came up with that

Is this why we should not mess with Texas? It's bad form to punch "Special needs" people?

Much my approach to obtaining swing top bottles as well....about the only thing I like about Grolsch. Much less expensive than having swing tops sent to you....and your wife gets to drink the beer.

Is this why we should not mess with Texas? It's bad form to punch "Special needs" people?

well i suppose we could go for more of a Ohio like thing:

"Don't mess with Ohio because we have nothing to do, higher than average jobless rate, and literally coudn't pay someone $20 million a year to live here its so bad (*see lebron) here"

:ban:

well i suppose we could go for more of a Ohio like thing:

"Don't mess with Ohio because we have nothing to do, higher than average jobless rate, and literally coudn't pay someone $20 million a year to live here its so bad (*see lebron) here"

:ban:
Haven't got a handle on the whole humour thing yet, I see. ;)

i was just joking with you too, too far?... it doesn't translate over the web sometimes.

anything 5% or more must me labeled "ale" or "malt liquor" in TX, if its under 5 it can be called beer.

Much my approach to obtaining swing top bottles as well....about the only thing I like about Grolsch. Much less expensive than having swing tops sent to you....and your wife gets to drink the beer.

Call me crazy, but I love Grolsch- especially with waffles…

Ah ha ha ha ha hahahah aha ha

anything 5% or more must me labeled "ale" or "malt liquor" in TX, if its under 5 it can be called beer.

I love TX, but that is just... Well... "special"

Seeing TX in the rear view mirror was the greatest feeling ever. And yeah, TX is very "special" when it comes to beer. Maybe things have changed in the past three years, but finding decent beer took real effort. New Belgium had broken in to the HEB, but for anything else, it was a 30 mile drive.

Seeing TX in the rear view mirror was the greatest feeling ever. And yeah, TX is very "special" when it comes to beer. Maybe things have changed in the past three years, but finding decent beer took real effort. New Belgium had broken in to the HEB, but for anything else, it was a 30 mile drive.

having recently left texas for new jersey, I do not share your sentiment. Specs downtown houston still beats any bottle shop i've been to. Not that I've been around that much, but still.

having recently left texas for new jersey, I do not share your sentiment. Specs downtown houston still beats any bottle shop i've been to. Not that I've been around that much, but still.
My experience with New Jersey is pretty limited. My forays were usually disappointing other than some really great shows in Hoboken, and a week on LBI. 24 hours in Elizabeth was probably a bad choice.

It's been even longer since I left the NE. Back in the mid 90's it was exciting to find a place in the East Village that had Widmer Hefe on tap, and it was served way too damned cold. I think growing up in Oregon really spoiled me.

I agree, specs downtown Houston has a seriously premium lineup that's always changing with what's available.

and trust me, Mongrel, we were yeehawing as we watched you watch Texas in your review mirror. You won't be missed. Now if we could just get all the other damn yankees, west coast lefties/hippies outa the state it'd be a much better place to live. ;)

We do have some crazy drinking laws here that are very old. For example there are parts of Pasadena that are dry, but the gas station across the street is wet. And other places where you gotta buy a $2 membership in order to drink. old bible thumpers still control a lot of the old money in the smaller towns and therefore the laws.. We're definitely part of the bible belt and the laws show it.

The college town I went to, Huntsville, has only recently lifted the number of bars that are allowed to be in town. And you can't buy a beer after midnight except on Saturday, and then its 1am, when the rest of the state is 2am.

Robusto said:

I could care less what they want to label it as, TX is far better off than the states tht don't alow beers over a certain percentage to be sold, that's crazy..... of course we can't buy beer before noon on sundays and can't buy hard alcohol on sundays at all (bottels not mixed drinks)

the real drag is that the distributors still have a stranglehold on the state legislators, which is stifling small businesses, job creators and entrepreneurs: aka craft breweries.

Not being able to buy beer on Sundays drives me NUTS in OK. Jesus doesn't care about WHEN I buy my booze!!! (Won't get into how I know this, it's for another forum... :rockin:)

and trust me, Mongrel, we were yeehawing as we watched you watch Texas in your review mirror. You won't be missed. Now if we could just get all the other damn yankees, west coast lefties/hippies outa the state it'd be a much better place to live. ;).

No problem gettin this damn yankee to leave. Relocated there twice, Houston then Dallas. Took me two years to get outta Houston luckily Dallas was temporary. I've lived all over the Midwest and west and would gladly take 'leftist hippies' and Yankees over the Texas alternative. To me that state is the epitomy of much of what's wrong with our society. '

'yeeeeeehaw' away, where I'm from, we choose to use our words.

Revvy said:
Good catch Strats I was going to start searching for that thread.

It comes down to texas being a very weird place. ;)

Agreed... we need more coastal breweries here!

Back