defrost beer - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > defrost beer

Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
BubbaK
Recipes 

Jan 2009

What is the best way to safely thaw out bottles of homebrew? I had almost 2 cases of beer in my soda machine, and when I walked by it tonight, I smelled watermelon.. I opened the machine, and saw ice and slush inside the machine. Apparently, the thermostat stuck and kept getting colder and colder. Now I have beercicles. I have no idea if they will be salvageable, but none of the bottles broke - yet. I removed them from the cabinet and put in a big storage bin with a lid just in case they decide to leak, pop, explode, whatever.

I know, pics or it didn't happen... Here you go.. I started to clean up before I took them so its not as bad looking now...

Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
Clann
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Edmonton Ky
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

You have a soda machine, thats too cool.

Sorry about your luck.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
BubbaK
Recipes 

Jan 2009

Thanks.. I've got a few machines... Nothing cold like soda machine cold. This particular machine is normally a slant shelf and the bottles are supposed to lay down. I took out the original shelves and made 2 shelves to fit the bottles standing up. Its been working great like this since I started brewing. I converted another machine into a fermentation chiller.. Soda machines are better than normal fridges because they have a circulator fan running all the time, even when the compressor turns off.

Not sure what I should do with the bottles as they defrost. It appears that most if not all have blown the crown seal. Not sure if I should recap them, let them warm up then cool again, put into fridge and hope for the best. I am going to a party on Fri night, so we could consume all these if there is a chance they will go bad. I really don't want to do that as I don't know if these people are homebrew worthy.. Most are Bud Light in a can drinkers...

Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Clann
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Edmonton Ky
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I was wondering if you stored the botles laying down.
Can't find anything like that around here but if I could I probabily wouldnt be able to afford it

Old 07-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
TopherM

Recipes 

Mar 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
Liked 447 Times on 353 Posts

I've frozen beer in the freezer before and just thrown them in the fridge to thaw, and they tasted fine on the other side.
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
BubbaK
Recipes 

Jan 2009

After 24hrs of being unrefrigerated, there were still some that were cold.. I tried one and it was flat as a board. I put the rest back in the fridge and I'll try one today.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
BubbaK
Recipes 

Jan 2009

So far, it seems like the batch that was chilling for a week or 2 before the big freeze didn't get that affected. The few bottles that I put in about 48hrs before the freeze have no carbonation at all.