Can't wait to get started home brewing. Lucky for me, my birthday is coming up so I'm going to get most of what I need as presents. In the meantime, I'm on CL regularly looking for a freezer to convert into a fermentation chamber. So for initial equipment I settled on the Midest Supplies Kit that's $100, but I probably have $100-$150 left to spend. I know there are countless threads on "what do I need" so I apologize in advance but appreciate your help.
The kit includes:
• 5 Gallon Glass Carboy
• 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermenter with Lid
• 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
• 8 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
• Drilled Universal Carboy Bung
• Bottle Brush
• Carboy Brush
• Twin Lever Red Baron Bottle Capper
• Bottle Caps
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer
• Bottle Filler
• Fermtech AutoSiphon upgrade
• Siphon Tubing
• Shutoff clamp
I probably have $100-$150 left to spend...what else should I get? I have on the list:
- Kettle (8gallon+) and burner so I can do full boils
- Large Funnel - figure I'll need this soon enough
- Another Carboy - I imagine I'll need this but since a secondary isn't necessary most of the time, maybe I don't need this since I could ferment two batches with what I'm getting in the kit. I think there is a good chance after the first batch I'll do some half-size batches. Maybe a 3 gallon carboy or BB would be appropriate.
- Some 22 oz bottles (saving the 12 oz at home)
- Wort chiller
- Pre-chiller - it sounds like full boils are the way to go. I live in Texas so I imagine I'll need this. I'm not sure of the tap water temperature, but I'm guessing it's upper 70s - it's cool but not cold.
- Beer recipe kit
Missing anything major on this list? Anything you'd change? Thanks so much.