Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Trigger alarm with this timer?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
njbabs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Trigger alarm with this timer?

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Kai's Omega timer (or the Auber timer). I am trying to figure out if a Sestos B2E timer (found via ebay, http://bit.ly/jvKZud) can be wired to trigger a 120v alarm.

I know relay output is possible, but not sure about an alarm (or a workaround to one).

Here's a link to the PDF manual: http://www.sestos-hk.com/english/download/B2E-EN.pdf

Thanks for any insight.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Maxkling
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pins 9 and 10 are your incoming power, polarity shouldn't matter. You need to supply 120 to pin 7. When out of alarm the relay contact pins 7 and 6 are connected. When into alarm the relay contact pins 7 and 8 are connected. So when you activate the timer, when your value is reached 7 and 8 close letting your supplied 120 to your alarm.

Me - "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
njbabs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hugely helpful. thanks for the diagram and explanation Maxkling!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
njbabs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A follow up. I am trying to figure out if the cryptic instructions indicate you can program a 'schedule' into the timer.

Say for a boil: 30 min, 15 min, 10 min, 5 min corresponding to hop additions or something.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Tx_Tuna
Recipes 

I was also looking at the eBay timer as a board replacement. Have you integrated this into your system yet? Any thoughts on performance or use?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
njbabs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am just about ready to wire up everything in my box, so I can't speak to performance on brew day.

That said, I'm very happy with the timer. I've tested its basic functionality and find it very easy to use. It has four input buttons for the time (corresponding to 00:00), similar to the Omega timer, which makes entering times a little easier than the Auber version. And the relay output will work fine with an alarm (per above diagram). It is not programmable, so you'll be either setting one countdown clock, or breaking the brewday up into units and reprogramming the clock at each alarm (my preference). It can count up or down, and you can change between various units (hours, minutes, seconds). It displays the set value (say, 30:00) and the current timer state (23:45 for example). The instructions included were easy to follow, and my experience w/ the ebay seller was great.

I have thought about using the second output for a separate level of control (say, turning off a pump after a set amount of time), but that would be down the road, if at all.

In general it was a low cost way to have a dedicated brewing alarm which integrated with my control panel and alarm.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Tx_Tuna
Recipes 

Fantastic...thanks for the quick reply!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
kellzey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why the one from ebay vs. the Auber timer? The ALS-51 is like $6 more.

Not knocking your choice. Just curious why you went with the one you did?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
njbabs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The quick answer is I don't know what the ALS-51 is - but would love to know!

... in general, I used those as comparisons because the Omega and the Auber where the two choices Kal offered over at theelectricbrewery.com

This Sestos one was a cheap alternative to these w/ similar functionality.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
njbabs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Duh...
you meant the ASL-51? Didn't know the auber model number. Quick answer was, particularly w/ shipping, I got the ebay Sestos timer much cheaper ($20 shipped).

Second reason is, similar to the more expensive omega timer, the Sestos allows you to change each digit of the timer w/ a dedicated button. On the auber you scroll back and forth. Kal seemed to indicate this was more of a hassle - so I'm basing this advantage on his advice.

More generally these were all options to work in a setup which would have a 120v flashing alarm and be based around a 1/16 DIN PID, so the 1/16 DIN timer would 'match up'.