Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First All Grain Batch

Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
ozzy1038
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First All Grain Batch

I have been lurking for awhile, gleaning as much info as I can on this great site. Everything I have read, lead me to all grain. Fortunately I had most everything already so start up was not horrible. All I really needed was a mash tun which I made out of a cooler with braided SS hose, and an IC made from 1/2" ID copper. I will need a larger kettle but managed around that.

I decided on an Ale until I can get a fridge for lagering. Soon! I combined the Bee Cave Haus Ale with the Orange Pale Ale. Essentially brewing the Haus Ale with the addition of sweet orange peel and coriander.

I preheated the mash tun while heating up the strike water to 162F. Nearing that temp I drained the mash tun. I then added my strike water and then grain.

I doughed in and took a temp reading. It was at 156F. The mash temp in the Haus Ale recipe is 152. The temp jumped to 158F so I cooled down with some ice cubes. I got the temp to 154F and left it there assuming a drop in temps. After 35 minutes the temp was at 153F. 10 minutes later it was at 152F. So I had a 2F variation from start to finish. I was happy.

I added 5qts of 175F water right before vorlauft, and then drained my first runnings. I then added the sparge water and stirred slightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Then I began vorlauft, and my second running.

Since unfortunately my Kettle is only 6 gallons I had to figure a way around that as I had 6.5 gallons of wort to boil. I boiled in my kettle and my canner at the same time adding 90% of my hops, orange peel and coriander to the large kettle and the remainder to the canner. As the large kettle would reduce down I would add from the canner to the kettle.

The recipe called for a 60 minute boil, but at the end of 60 minutes I had more than 5 gallons so I continued to boil for a total of 90 minutes. I should have done a harder boil. It's all a learning process right?!

During the boil I did my hop additions as per the recipe except that the last one was adjusted due to the lack of proper reduction of the wort. I had also put the IC in during the last 15 minutes of the first hour to sterilize, but once I realized a longer boil was in order I left it in.

Once proper reduction was achieved I turned on the IC and noticed a rapid drop in temps. Unfortunately my Taylor thermometer took a dump on me and wasn't reading correctly. (I learned today through searching that the probe should not be submerged!) So I dont have an accurate time of chilling to the desired range of 70-75. Basically, I ran the water a lot longer than needed to chill. I grabbed my instant read and I was right on at 75F.

I siphoned off the wort into my carboy and then aerated with my drill and a mix-stir. I then pitched my yeast, and put it away.

Here is the color of it. A nice golden amber.

And here it is 12 hours later doing its thing.

This calls for a 7-10 day ferment at 68F My "man cave" temped out at 68F with a floor temp of 66F. The fermometer showed between 70 and 68 so it should have been real close. Although this morning to be safe I put it in a tub with cool water and a frozen bottle of water. The fermometer reads 68 now. This is 38-40 hours after pitching.

The smell is good coming out of the air lock. It is a nice citrusy hoppiness!

Considering a few speed bumps along the way I am optimistic and looking forward to a few frosty pints in the weeks to come.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
ozzy1038
Recipes 

I forgot to mention that OG was 1.051.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Looks great! I hope one day I can get into all grain.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Naggs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Great work and great pics! Can't wait to get the rest of my AG setup together. My 36 quart brewpot just came UPS today!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
norsk
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Much more organized than my first foray into all grain...good job.

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
dunard2
Recipes 

Nice work - I'm looking to make the AG leap soon too!
Bottles: Imperial IPA, Blood Orange Hefe, Summer Shandy Clone

Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
profallout
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like you got it figured out. All grain isn't as intimidating once you do it for the first time.

You said "7-10 days ferment". I'm not 100% sure what you meant but the common advice around here is to leave it in the primary carboy for 3-4 weeks unless you plan on transferring to secondary.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
ozzy1038
Recipes 

7-10 days primary ferment is what the recipe stated. No secondary is mentioned. My plan is/was to let it ferment in primary and then bottle age it 2-3 weeks.

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
ozzy1038
Recipes 

In the haus pale ale recipe he crash cools and kegs after 7-10 days. So my plan was to do the same except i am not set up yet to keg. So bottles it will be.

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

I would recommend letting it ferment for at least 3 weeks. That way you allow for the fermentation to finish properly and allow some time for yeast clean up as well. I typically allow at least 3 - 4 weeks on all of my beers.

Good luck.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!