Cloudy Brew!? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cloudy Brew!?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
brentt03
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Land of the Free
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I attached a pic of the porter we brewed over the past couple of weeks. It was in the fermenter for a week, then bottled. It's still a little young so carbonation isn't spot on, but it seems really cloudy; is this because I didn't let it clear up in the fermenter long enough??
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	28799  

Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts

Well, considering you only left it in the fermenter for a week, and I'm sure it hasn't been bottle conditioned for the minimum 3 weeks we suggest, and probably hasn't spent all that long in the fridge, I'm not surprised it's still cloudy.

The longer you leave a beer alone, the clearer it has an opportunity to get. That's why many of us leave our beers in primary for a month, and skip secondary, because our beer comes our crystal clear, with very little sediment.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
brentt03
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Land of the Free
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well, considering you only left it in the fermenter for a week, and I'm sure it hasn't been bottle conditioned for the minimum 3 weeks we suggest, and probably hasn't spent all that long in the fridge, I'm not surprised it's still cloudy.

The longer you leave a beer alone, the clearer it has an opportunity to get. That's why many of us leave our beers in primary for a month, and skip secondary, because our beer comes our crystal clear, with very little sediment.
I was about 98% sure time was the culprit but we were semi-experimenting how it would turn out in a shorter turn around as we are gearing up to start a nanobrewery, so looks like we need to figure in a longer time frame for a better product outcome.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
paraordnance
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Red Deer, Alberta
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I find that any recipe that has Chocolate malt or Carafa needs at least 2 months to clear and harsh flavors to mellow out and blend. There is just no short cuts. 2-3 weeks its just plain and simple too fast for good dark beer.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
I find that any recipe that has Chocolate malt or Carafa needs at least 2 months to clear and harsh flavors to mellow out and blend. There is just no short cuts. 2-3 weeks its just plain and simple too fast for good dark beer.
Yeah, my porters and stouts tend to need 6-8 weeks in the bottle alone to reach their peak, and that's after the month in primary.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
WVbrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Shepherdstown, WV
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What yeast did you use?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
headfullahops
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Waterford, Michigan