What type of PID - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > What type of PID

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Dirty
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Olathe
Posts: 151
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Does it matter which PID i buy? Are there different types and will a cheap E-bay model serve me well enough for a short time?

Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Does it matter which PID i buy? Are there different types and will a cheap E-bay model serve me well enough for a short time?

Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris
There is a huge "depends" attached to my answer. It depends on what you are trying to do with it. A lot of the PIDs I see there are relay output not SSR. (And a lot of 'em are in C not F)

If you want to control a temperature for a HLT, you don't really want relay output. It's fine for controlling a refer or freezer temp.

The next issue would be: Can it control the percent of power delivered? With that feature you can control the strength of the boil. Without it, you would be boiling at full element power or you would need another device to manage it for you. (more $'s)

In my very humble opinion, please do it right the first time and don't throw money away on a temporary solution. Choose the PID that will do the job for you, the right way, from the get go.

Sorry for my rant, I just had to say it.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
mattd2
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,719
Liked 307 Times on 245 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
There is a huge "depends" attached to my answer. It depends on what you are trying to do with it. A lot of the PIDs I see there are relay output not SSR. (And a lot of 'em are in C not F)

If you want to control a temperature for a HLT, you don't really want relay output. It's fine for controlling a refer or freezer temp.

The next issue would be: Can it control the percent of power delivered? With that feature you can control the strength of the boil. Without it, you would be boiling at full element power or you would need another device to manage it for you. (more $'s)

In my very humble opinion, please do it right the first time and don't throw money away on a temporary solution. Choose the PID that will do the job for you, the right way, from the get go.

Sorry for my rant, I just had to say it.
Not that it is really part of the question but for completeness I would be carefull of using a PID with relay output to control a freezer like a Love/Ranco/STC1000(?) as most PIDs I have seen have either a 1A or 3A rating on the rely and a fridge/freezer would be pushing that limit

Yeah, most of the Cheap $20 ebay ones I have seen don't seem to have the "manual" mode to set the % power, I have seen someone suggest using a LED PWM dimmer to control the element SSR in manual mode but you would probably end up spending $10-15 with all the other bits and piece to get a more rough solution. I'm pretty (kinda) sure you can get an Auber for $40 from ebay, as PJ said: do it once and do it right.

And in regards to them only coming in celcius, get into the 21 century man; What does the body temperature of a horse have to do with brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Psych
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Kelowna, BC
Posts: 780
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts


There's nothing more frustrating than thinking your setup is working, suddenly having a part fail and then having to wait for 2-3 weeks while you arrange a replacement.

Buy an Auber first and your chance of that is lower, I'd say, and if you DO happen to get a rare defective one (I did!) then they'll swap it for a new one pretty fast!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,719
Liked 307 Times on 245 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
Buy an Auber first and your chance of that is lower, I'd say, and if you DO happen to get a rare defective one (I did!) then they'll swap it for a new one pretty fast!
From the www.auberins.com website, can anyone comment on these 3 PIDs?

1. 1/32 DIN Univesal $36
2. 1/16 DIN Universal $42
3. 1/16 DIN SSR $45

From what I see
1. Cheaper but no seperate display for set value / process value,
2. More $$$ but seperate display for set value / process value,
3. More $$$ with seperate display for set value / process value and 12VDC (instead of 8VDC) SSR output but lack of relay output

Any reason you would you go for 3 over 2 (given most SSR have an input voltage range of 3-32VDC)?

And sorry Chris if I have taken over your thread

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


With those 3 units, I'd strongly suggest #3. The SYL-2352 is an excellent PID.

#2 - SYL-2362 is a good unit as well, but there are just a few brewers using it so the support knowledge of it on the forums is limited.

#1 - SYL-1512 does not have a manual mode. You cannot control the boil strength with it.

BTW, thay are all good products. You just need to choos the best one for what you are trying to accomplish.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,719
Liked 307 Times on 245 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
With those 3 units, I'd strongly suggest #3. The SYL-2352 is an excellent PID.

#2 - SYL-2362 is a good unit as well, but there are just a few brewers using it so the support knowledge of it on the forums is limited.

#1 - SYL-1512 does not have a manual mode. You cannot control the boil strength with it.

BTW, thay are all good products. You just need to choos the best one for what you are trying to accomplish.
Are you sure #1 doesn't have a manual mode? the website says "control mode: PID, On-Off, Limit" just like the other 2.My mistake, looks like you are right after I rechecked

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
hrafnkell
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Iceland
Posts: 50
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've used and handled a few 2362s and have no complaints.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
Psych
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Kelowna, BC
Posts: 780
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts


I have a 2362 and besides a slightly different connector layout it's pretty much the same beast as the 2352, so far.

But I'd probably do the 2352 if I started over from scratch, just to have that support network.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
mattd2
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,719
Liked 307 Times on 245 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hrafnkell View Post
I've used and handled a few 2362s and have no complaints.
Any actual differences between the 2362 and the 2352 (aside from the lack of relay output and 12V vs 8V SSRoutput)?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K type thermocouple or RTD sensor acefaser Electric Brewing 15 07-31-2011 04:22 AM
Type of wire for 5500w 240v element thomashp Electric Brewing 14 03-04-2011 11:35 PM
"Dial Type" controller for E Kettle Ppeg34 Electric Brewing 1 02-28-2011 07:31 PM


Forum Jump