Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aeration

Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Aeration

I have looked around and this topic has been discussed in passing as to why you do it and how to prevent it, etc.

But I thought it would be helpful to start a thread to discuss various methods. In the past I have cooled my wort in the brew pot and then put it in the fermentor and aerated by dumping the water from gallon jugs into the fermentor from a height. This adds a lot of air for sure. My upcoming brew I am using tap water and was wondering what the best method is (I don't want to buy aeration equipment).

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion and compare methods.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Have you seen this thread? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20832

If you really don't want to buy anything, shaking the fermenter is probably the next best thing. In any case, the fact that you add topup water makes aeration a little less important because the fresh water carries in some O2.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
trinitone

Recipes 

You should also have a look here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19206

and here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17335

and here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20315

and maybe here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5376

Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Have you seen this thread? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20832

If you really don't want to buy anything, shaking the fermenter is probably the next best thing. In any case, the fact that you add topup water makes aeration a little less important because the fresh water carries in some O2.
Thanks for the link, I guess I didn't search that well. Good work by the way.

I will probably give it a good shake.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #5
GoBrewers
Recipes 

Default Aerate while you rack

I believe strongly that shaking the crap out of your fermenter aerates wort sufficiently. However, for peace of mind, I have taken to another measure, because it is dirt cheap and easy as cake. Steal (or buy) a stainless steel spoon from wherever, bend it back at 90 deg's so that the convex end is facing the handle, and attach the handle of the spoon to the end of your siphon from wort to fermenter, so that the wort passes over the dome of the spoon before it is dumped into the fermenter. The contraption can be sanitized just as simply as if it was just siphon hose alone. I couldn't tell you how much more O2 this incorporates, but I can say that it splashes the heck out of the wort before it hits the fermenter. But I'd still shake the crap out of it, just to be sure.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:54 AM   #6
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I syphon my wort from the pot to the fermenter on the floor. I straighten out a paper clip, and work it between the hose and the copper pipe (counterflow cooler now . or before that, a copper 'racking cane' type thing that stays put). The flow of the wort will draw in air via the venturi effect. (Those years as a tune up mechanic still pay offf) Don't allow so much air you lose your syphon, just enough to bubble in the fermenter. It is fresh air, so will input more 02 than just shaking the fermenter, since that uses up the oxygen . If it matters that is. Lots of batchs worked fine inspite of forgetting the aeration. Breaking sugar chains gives off O2, but I don't know how much of that goes on in the fermenter.

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 AM   #7
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Had a bottling "wand", can't recall what is actually called you know the rigid clear plastic tube that pops into siphon tube with the spring loaded end to release beer upon pressure into bottle, whew!, cut the spring loaded end off, drilled 12 small holes 3/4 way up. It's a variation on the drilled copper tube aerater technique posted elswhere.
Good results, quicker starts than sloshing and alot less of a workout. Only problem noticed is that hops will get stuck at the drilled holes slowing the flow.
fwiw, enjoy.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

there was a guy on basic brewing radio podcasts that did a bunch of tests on aeriation, shaking although labor intensive worked the best. Better than an aquarium pump with an air stone byt there tests.
I believe it was on one of the three shows about yeast,

Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
lgtg
Recipes 

Default I use a.....

When my boil is complete and after the wort is mostly cooled. I simply (in the brew pot begin to stir it with a spaghetti spoon. It's the type with "prongs" along the outside edges of the spoon to better grab the pasta and, like a wisk, works well. I have had pretty good looking "froth" and although it takes a little time and "elbow grease" I'm happy with it.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

I think the Shake vs. Pure O2 answer lies in your trust of your environment. The more you shake (or use an aquarium pump) the better your chances of introducing wild yeast. By using bottled O2, you know that the air you're pumping in is clean(er), thereby giving less chance of contamination or off flavors. Now, the taste difference might not be detectable or could be only ever so slight, but the fact is that if you're worried about contamination you simply must use bottled O2.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.