ghetto brew setups?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the time being, this is my ghetto brew stand. The rest of the brew room is alright, but the stand could use some work.
Hey man, no sweat. I still use the wooden chair bottom where the back had broken off as a stand for my bottle tree/avinator. It can be seen in my videos & some pics I posted on here over the years. Everything works if ya let it!
this is an upgrade from using buckets and ladders, but i wanted to share my garden sprayer sparge arm adapted to a 3/8 ss faucet connecter. works pretty good, i just move it around while it is running.

Following the true American ideal of the simplest solutions being the best ones!:tank:

Moving up from ghetto a bit with some small storage containers to re-arrange the doored compartment.
Went from this;

With these storage containers on top of the bucket from HD, $3.88/4;

To this, all neatly arranged. One for thermometers, hydrometers, etc. The other for bags of hop & grain bags, airlocks, bungs, etc.;

It's a heck of a lot less cluttered now. Quickie cell phone pics...

I dunno if it gets more 'ghetto', than the garbage can my brother and I bought, to make cherry wine in.

A couple hundred pounds of over-ripe cherries in boxes, was the main impetus.

It actually turned out pretty good, though not all that strong. Tasted great mixed with a splash of Diet Coke!

Hey! It WAS a NEW garbage can! And we did put a bag in it! :)

TeeJo

Here is my original setup, I had to use the same kettle for sparge water and boil so I fly sparged into plastic buckets then transferred to the kettle for boil once the sparge was complete. Note the Deck stair riser technique sorry about the orientation of the pic kinda new at this
IMG_1911.JPG

This was my two-cooler fly sparge set up from a few years ago. In the middle of building a eBIAB recirculation system.

VA5PMYR.jpg

I think looking at this picture later made me realize that I should probably shorten those hoses.

Yeah, about a foot should do. got another 2 gallon bucket to make wine in. Just need some airlock grommets to get a batch going.

Just did my first all grain brews this weekend. The keg I've had just sitting around for years, the blue cooler was given to me new but I had to buy the orange one. I need to redo the wood on the small saw horses as you can't see how the bottoms are rotten. Anyway, this set up worked. Turkey fryer burner was enough for the 5 gallon batches and my double coil wort chiller cooled it down in about 15 min.

Redneck brew set up 2.jpg

Sorry guys, I have moved on from the ranks of ghetto with a new brew stand.
Before and after.

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_8624.jpg

Here's my MLT built with designs from HBT.
Check out my lautering stand to get all the sugary goodness out of my grains.
Basically just a table in my garage, 5 gallon turkey fryer.

IMG_0833.jpg

That is more "Home Made Chic" than "Ghetto". Its not dangerous or stupid looking. The table Qualifies though.

Well, I had trouble with my password and the site not accepting it? Finally got that fixed. Since my last postings, I've gotten back into what are now called " adult air rifles". Bench rest shooting, ballistics chronographs, etc. Got my left hip replaced 5 weeks ago today and feeling better. But still need the pain pills they gave me after hip replacement for 2nd Lumbar. Since they all interconnect, they okay'd the pills to continue. Otherwise, I'm slowly excorsing back to walking decent again!
Glad to see the thread I started continuing! Gotta get to brewing some beers that'll go good with wild game. I should be back in shape enough to start hunting again next season? :mug:

Had to brew some beers for a party while the my original brew location was closed. Don't mind the electrical installation.

DSC_0133.JPG

Here's my ghetto-fab brewery (hope these pictures show up, never tried uploading until now). Those are custom wind shrouds, VERY expensive! Laptop for note taking? Think again, pen and paper (graph paper though, not TOTALLY ghetto)! Possibly the MOST hood part of my setup? I CAN'T EVEN BREW AT MY OWN APARTMENT lol, that's my parents garage..I have to mash, cook and ferment at their house and drive 30 minutes any time I want to see my 'babies' do their thing. If that's not ghetto, I don't know WHAT is!

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Yeah, dig it.

My only criticism is that you seem to be using for a mash paddle something that was intended to be a mash paddle. :)

Yes, my hockey stick was to long and I was worried about tipping the tun/kettle over so I broke down and splurged on a paddle. Found on Craigslist, though! Hopefully that helps to restore some of my 'ghetto-brew cred' :D:tank:

Yes, my hockey stick was to long and I was worried about tipping the tun/kettle over so I broke down and splurged on a paddle. Found on Craigslist, though! Hopefully that helps to restore some of my 'ghetto-brew cred' :D:tank:

Definitely, haha. Just got a few brewing items from craigslist yesterday! Actually, the guy was also selling that exact same mash paddle.

Latest posts

Back