Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Prep Water for Kegs

Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
lamarguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
nothing is gonna grow in there, right? its sealed and refrigerated.
CO2 pressure or not, bacteria and fungus can still grow in non-sterile tap water. Tap water contains soil runoff that supports growth.

My primary concern would be mildew growth over a long period of time. Have you ever opened up a sealed water canister that hasn't been used for 6 months? It typically looks and smells of mildew.

I'd recommend at least pasteurizing the water (162F for 5 minutes).

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
CO2 pressure or not, bacteria and fungus can still grow in non-sterile tap water. Tap water contains soil runoff that supports growth.

My primary concern would be mildew growth over a long period of time. Have you ever opened up a sealed water canister that hasn't been used for 6 months? It typically looks and smells of mildew.

I'd recommend at least pasteurizing the water (162F for 5 minutes).
I suppose it depends where you live, but my water is pretty clean here. I filter it through a very fine carbon filter. Under CO2 pressure you basically only need to worry about anaerobic bacteria. Aerobic can't survive without O2. At those temperatures things also grow slowly. To each his/her own, but personally I don't boil mine. I have my water line feeding through a carbon filter into my carbonator, into my keg, and out the tap. This is just my $0.02.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i would be using the water from those big blue water jugs. i'm not sure if its spring water or just "purified drinking water" but it is from one of the 5 gallon jugs.

"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 01-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden View Post
I suppose it depends where you live, but my water is pretty clean here.
Are you suggesting your tap water does not contain soil runoff and is impervious to mildew because you carbonated it?

If so, you should consider running for the GOP nomination.

Seriously, for long term water storage (6+ months), you should do one of the following:
  1. pasteurize or boil
  2. distill
  3. chemically treat (chlorine, etc.)

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #15
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
Are you suggesting your tap water does not contain soil runoff and is impervious to mildew because you carbonated it?

If so, you should consider running for the GOP nomination.

Seriously, for long term water storage (6+ months), you should do one of the following:
  1. pasteurize or boil
  2. distill
  3. chemically treat (chlorine, etc.)
No. What I am suggesting is that the temperature, CO2, filtering, etc all make the likely hood of bacterial growth unlikely. To each his/her own. Personally I run my carbonator of of filtered tap water. If you are paranoid you could UV or chemically treat the water.

Can you quote some source to suggest how much bacteria, fungus, or mold you think is getting into the water? Specifically which anaerobic organisms you are worried about?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i am using water from the water delivery at work

this is from their website
"Just Pure Water Company utilizes ozone; (oxygen) treatment for sterilization of water, ozone significantly reduces the use of chemical agents’ chlorine. "

i assume this water should be fine in kegs for an extended period of time

"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Should be fine.
Also, in regards to water source for the others, it will depend on the source. If your "tap" water comes directly from a well water source that's not further treated, that's different than getting your "tap" water from a treated source.
My water is treated, fluoridated, contains chlorine/chloride, etc and is thus treated to the requirements of standard bottled water.

So if EFraden's water is standard "city" water, treated etc by the city, then he's correct and he shouldn't have any issues with the water. If he's drilled down to the local aquifer and has well water... well, I'd be leaning towards the treatment side of things. Given that his location is listed as Rochester, New York, I'd assume standard treatments, chlorine/cloride etc. Thus, no need to distill, further treat or anything else.

The given shelf life of city tap water is 6 months. Of course, with EFraden's continuous setup, it's not stored for 6 months and circulates... you know, unless they decide not to drink sparkling water for that long.

6 months of city treated tapwater in a sterile container taken from the department of homeland security website. Also that if the water was taken from a well, or water source that was not treated with chlorine that it does need to be treated for this turnaround time. Commercially bottled water has a life of 1 year.
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Should be fine.
Also, in regards to water source for the others, it will depend on the source. If your "tap" water comes directly from a well water source that's not further treated, that's different than getting your "tap" water from a treated source.
My water is treated, fluoridated, contains chlorine/chloride, etc and is thus treated to the requirements of standard bottled water.

So if EFraden's water is standard "city" water, treated etc by the city, then he's correct and he shouldn't have any issues with the water. If he's drilled down to the local aquifer and has well water... well, I'd be leaning towards the treatment side of things. Given that his location is listed as Rochester, New York, I'd assume standard treatments, chlorine/cloride etc. Thus, no need to distill, further treat or anything else.

The given shelf life of city tap water is 6 months. Of course, with EFraden's continuous setup, it's not stored for 6 months and circulates... you know, unless they decide not to drink sparkling water for that long.

6 months of city treated tapwater in a sterile container taken from the department of homeland security website. Also that if the water was taken from a well, or water source that was not treated with chlorine that it does need to be treated for this turnaround time. Commercially bottled water has a life of 1 year.

Sorry... yes.... should have made that clear. I am using treated city water. If you are using a well I would treat with chlorine, UV, filter, etc.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Remember too, that this water is likely to be refrigerated, so I wouldn't expect issues beyond the 6 month period in a sanitized vessel, whereas the 6 month rotation is just sitting out in a cellar.

Personally though, I'd consider just tossing it and refilling with new water at the 6 month period. It's just water. Use it to wash the car or something.

Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.