Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG brew Success!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
AKnewbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First AG brew Success!

Finally after 4 weeks bottle conditioning, my Stale Pale Ale IPA is tasting mighty fine! It was my first AG batch using leftover hops. I used 5 hops, Magnum and Cascade for bittering, Willamette for flavoring, and Kent Goldings and Tettnang for finishing/aroma. It was a 1.070 wort attenuated to 1.018.

It has an almost citrusy aroma, and also aromas that remind me of a European (maybe German) beer, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's nothing I have ever experienced. Very bitter, but without the long dry bitter aftertaste that some IPA's have. Malt and hop flavors balance the taste. Carbonation is good, with a good head, but no lacing or medium to poor head retention. Cloudy when cold, dark straw color with a slight hint of red. No finings were added.

So, for the future, work on a better carbonation and clearing. So far so good!

Bottled: Pomegranate Orange Witbier, Yule Gruit, English ESB, 7 Grain Black Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
TwoGunz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

Well done, well done!