Historical Beer: Gose Goze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY#1007/ S-05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
est 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10-12
Tasting Notes
Nice tart refressing brew. I would consider maybe dialing down the salt next time.
Very nice and refreshing summer fun.

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.4 %
10 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.5 %
6 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 30.7 %
4 lbs Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 18.2 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
1.00 oz Sterling [7.90%] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
1.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 oz Coriander Seed, ground (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
44.00 gm Sea Salt (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

22qt mash at strike temp of 161 all but 4# of acid malt. Mash for 60 min, add acid malt and enough hot water to keep mash temp btn 144-149

carbed to 2.5vol

split yeast between 2 5 gal carboys.

s-05 portion recieved 6 packs of true orange at kegging.

I would consider dialing down the salt to 38-40g

BYO just had a recipe for Gose.

5 lbs wheat malt
3.25 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs acidulated malt
.5 lbs rice hulls
.5 oz santiam hops 60 min
1 tbs irish moss 15 min
1 oz ground coriander 10 min
.75 oz sea salt 10 min
wlp029 or wyeast 1007
.75 cup priming sugar

there is also an extract version.

Can't speak to that, a 12oz bottle here is over $5, and to be completely honest i'd rather by an orval for that price.

It is a nice light tangy summer beer. I imagine the one I'm having as I type would be great in 90F heat.

I just kegged the BYO version and it's great only thing I changed was increasing the acidulated malt by.5 lb. I purchased one to do a comparison and the BYO version is much better. I strongly suggest giving this style a try.

This one is getting a lot of nice reviews from guests. I guess one way to know if they mean it it, when the go bAck to the tap more then 3 times.

Vongo said:
I just kegged the BYO version and it's great only thing I changed was increasing the acidulated malt by.5 lb. I purchased one to do a comparison and the BYO version is much better. I strongly suggest giving this style a try.

I read that this style would sometimes be served w fruit syrup to counteract the sour/tart...I've been looking for a style to brew a fig beer, maybe goze is the ticket?...maybe 8oz fresh purée at 10min?

Planning on brewing this tonight...converted to extract, but should I change the hop amounts for a partial volume boil?

Back