Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Condensation

Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

After spending 1000's on other brewing stuff, I finally get myself a chest freezer to ferment in.

Brewed a beer last night, checked it this morning, and the condensation is pretty bad.

How can I deal with this?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
johnodon
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Douglassville, PA
Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

I have the same issue since I keep mine in the garage and it is getting pretty warm out. I would be interested in hearing suggestions.

John

Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodon
I have the same issue since I keep mine in the garage and it is getting pretty warm out. I would be interested in hearing suggestions.

John
Yeah, mine is in the garage as well. I should add that since it's pretty cool at night, I also have a heat belt in there for dual-stage temp control.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
samc
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts

Damp Rid or similar product. They also sell rechargeable electronic dehumidifiers. Both work well.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Maxkling
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

EDIT::: ^^^^ Beat me to it.

Well the issue is the temperature difference between the side's of the chest freezer which get really cold and the air temp in the freezer. Since the freezer is no where near operating like it is suppose to the condensation doesn't freeze (frost) like a regular freezer. So you need something that absorbs the humidity.

I never cared, mine condensates horribly also, but Ive heard "DampRid" works, never tired it so I cannot vouch for it.

Me - "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc
Damp Rid or similar product. They also sell rechargeable electronic dehumidifiers. Both work well.
Never heard of damp rid... will have to see if I can find it. Looks like a giant version of those little dessicant packs you get in everything?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts

Put a bucket of Damp Rid in the freezer & check your seals as well. Condensation usually means that there is outside air leaking in, but if your beer isn't close to the ferment temps when you drop it in the freezer that could certainly cause condensation as well.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
johnodon
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Douglassville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Never heard of damp rid... will have to see if I can find it. Looks like a giant version of those little dessicant packs you get in everything?
Walmart carries it.

Another though...would a fan help?

John

Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
teddy4xp
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Traverse city, Michigan
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I had the same problem. Damp rid is a very common product, just about every store sells it. I placed a tub of it in my chest freezer and it works perfect, I highly recommend it

Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
johnodon
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Douglassville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy4xp View Post
I had the same problem. Damp rid is a very common product, just about every store sells it. I placed a tub of it in my chest freezer and it works perfect, I highly recommend it
How often does it need to be changed for something as small as a chest freezer? It looks like it may also be designed for entire rooms.

John